1955 USD tank and Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leslie Sapp

Registered
Reaction score
Just found a 1955 US divers tank in my father in laws barn. It still has the tank bands, cotton web harness and an aquamatic regulator attached. The tank has the original hydro date of 11-55, with no newer dates stamped in it.
It has the West Pico Blvd. address, with just "Rene" instead of the full name.

As you can see, I've done a little research on it, but I was wondering what else some of the regular posters here could tell me about it.
Any links to pages with additional history would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Go here, click on the manuals and catalogs. You will find most of the old US Divers
catalogs.

Vintage Double Hose • Index page

Yes, it's a 72 with the 1/2" pipe threads. I've got another similar tank I've had for years, it's a 1959 USD with the same valve, but does not have Rene's name on it. I've attached a few pics.

Are these the tapered threads or the straight ones?

Attachments

• DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_0023.JPG
    DSC_0023.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 119
Nice reg?

The reg is missing the perforated purge button from the end - I'm going to go back over there and look around the barn for it, but I don't have much hope of finding it.

I don't ever see myself trying to put it back in service, but it would be nice to have all the parts.

I have thought about putting a 1/2" tapered Din valve from XS Scuba in the 1959 tank and using it. The old valve in it has been damaged by many removals for VIP over the years and the yoke does not seal to the o-ring reliably.

I wouldn't touch the 1955 rig, though - it's got too much character to mess it up. Does anyone have any idea what it's worth?

The perforated purge button is actually a cover not a purge and is hard plastic. It was attached by a rubber ring that simply stretched over the lip on the cover and reg body. The rubber is prone to rot and that is probably why it's no longer there, in addition to the cover look for the diaphragm which would have launched it self when the ring failed. It is a compound diaphragm and looks like a small black funnel in the middle of a diaphragm (if it's not rotted completely) with a stainless steel support disk for the exhaust valve. I also have one and have recently done a complete rebuild on it (look for my write up here in vintage) and it breaths quite well.
Good luck and happy hunting.

The XS valve should work, I didn't know anyone was currently making a 1/2" NPT valve.

Back
Top Bottom