Worthington hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well buy FABER

Hot spray galvanised AND a couple of coats of tough paint

Normal hydro procedures

Great bouyancy characteristics

Very very stretchy

Rather than is often suggested and go elsewhere I would ask if the pea that is blowing around in the dustbowl has disconnected from the wire.

It's really simple, get a cave fill prior to the hydro. 3800 is pretty close to 90 percent of the hydro pressure.
-oops, i'm assuming we're talking LP tanks

Why want Worthington make this right and let them be traded in on new tanks. I have also been told that XS Scuba is the same company. Don't know if it is true but I been told XS Scuba tanks have been failing as well. I own a Worthington and a XS Scuba. I worry if mine will pass hydro or not.

Why want Worthington make this right and let them be traded in on new tanks. I have also been told that XS Scuba is the same company. Don't know if it is true but I been told XS Scuba tanks have been failing as well. I own a Worthington and a XS Scuba. I worry if mine will pass hydro or not.

Worthington is the tank manufacturer.

XS Scuba is the sole US distributor for Worthington tanks. Used to be there were 2-3 distributors in the US, but XS Scuba is the only one now. (this with their purchase of Sea Pearls).

You say you have a Worthington and an XS Scuba tank. They are both made by Worthington. It's just at one time they were marketed as XS Scuba Tanks.

Contact Mike Pantoni (sp?) of XS Scuba if you have issues.....

It's really simple, get a cave fill prior to the hydro. 3800 is pretty close to 90 percent of the hydro pressure.
-oops, i'm assuming we're talking LP tanks

So I was just down in FL. and I had the dive shop give me a "cave fill" @ 3000 PSI. I have two lp 77 with the + rating. They held pressure over a 24hr period just fine. So will they pass hydro if they were due?

What I would recommend is finding the largest, most reputable dealer of PST or Worthington tanks in your area and take your tanks there to have them hydroed. These shops have an interest in not seeing the tanks they sold fail hydros as they don't want to lose business. They'd like you to be happy with the tanks you bought from them and buy more gear and classes in the future. Because of this they're more likely to insist that the hydro facility they use follows procedures properly.

Here is the actual test procedure from Worthington.

I won't go into specifics but I had a pair of XS scuba tanks fail hydro. At this point it is not clear if it was an issue with the tanks or with the test procedure done by the tester and I am not asking for clarifiction as XS scuba took care of the situation for me after I provided the test results, documentation of tanks, fill history, etc.

In short, I would not worry about buying Worthington tanks. They are not failing in huge numbers and in my recent experience if you do have a tank that fails and you are both nice about it and provide reasonable documentation that the tanks have not been abused, etc they seem to take care of it. In other words, the customer service is superb.

Persnally, I still tend to think the failure was on the part of the hydro tester based on seeing a few other steel tanks that particular RIN has failed. A steel tank failing hydro is a rare event and thje numbers have spiked since the shop I work with changed testing companies.

how do you provide documentation that the tanks have not been abused?

Why want Worthington make this right and let them be traded in on new tanks.

Because there's nothing wrong with the cylinders?

Sometimes hot-dipped galvanized steel cylinders aren't perfectly round. However, adding that much pressure to them makes them as perfectly round as they'll get. As an extreme example, think of a garden hose before and after turning the water on.

Hydro-testing a cylinder that is slightly 'out of round' has the added effect of measuring huge volume displacement due out-of-roundness (and thus improperly failing your cylinders) instead of the small bit of volume change from elastic expansion.

Find yourself a good hydro facility, bring the test procedures with you, and make them promise to follow them...and demand the final results of both the pre-test and the actual hydro test. Remember...they work for you, you're the customer, and you're always right. Use that to your advantage.

I found a great hydro shop 'near' me (within a ~1.25 hour drive). They charge about $10 per tank, and they run the extra test (and provide me with both sets of results...without asking, even).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom