Does Nikon make a digital Nikonos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy and I still shoot NikV's also. I would just love it if Nikon made a digital for the 15mm......I'd be beside myself and the first in line to buy.

Come back to the film side. Still using my Nik V here, as is my dive buddy, though he is still using SB-103 flashes to my SB-105s!

Hey, Mycroft, I still love my Nik V, too, and am loath to make the switch to digital. only problem is that it's increasingly difficult to get film processed, and I do like scanning and tweaking with photoshop and then doing my own printing. can you recommend a reliable processor who will also scan hi-res?

Hey, Mycroft, I still love my Nik V, too, and am loath to make the switch to digital. only problem is that it's increasingly difficult to get film processed, and I do like scanning and tweaking with photoshop and then doing my own printing. can you recommend a reliable processor who will also scan hi-res?

Robinella,

Found this place by Googling....

It's in Rome....a little closer to you for mail order.

Darkroom Imaging - Rome, NY

The place I use does have an FTP site and you could probably mail them your film and then pick up your hi-res images from their site. Home We have alot of industry in town and the ad agencies here use Robin Imaging.

Thanx, Lori, for letting your fingers do the walking for me. looks like a worthwhile place to check out. hope you haven't gotten buried in the snow storm that's making its way across you and to us as we speak.

Thanx, Lori, for letting your fingers do the walking for me. looks like a worthwhile place to check out. hope you haven't gotten buried in the snow storm that's making its way across you and to us as we speak.

No problem at all. My father and I actually enjoyed it. We're originally from the Finger Lakes. I kept asking him how far this town was from that town and he had his map out and was looking....... nice to keep the old mind exercised for him.

Father's family is from Palmyra, mother's family is from Phelps. I was born in Clifton Springs and brought up part of my formative years in Phelps.

The snow keeps flirting with our meteorologists and driving them nuts. The lastest threat is tomorrow late morning, and hitting at it's worst on our rush hour tomorrow afternoon.

Why not just a digital back for the NicV out there?

I doubt this will happen. Nikon stopped making underwater cameras in 2001. Kodak may have made a few Nikon body based digital underwater prototypes but never started large scale production. Probably a few were made for Seals, but Kodak denies it, as they would with a secret program. See:
The Secret Behind the Mysterious Digital Nikonos Camera

There was a startup that had a proto of a housing that accepted Nikonos lenses, which are extremely good. As I recall they used an Olympus body. Pricing was said to be in the $2000 range for the housing only (no lenses), but the company had some problems getting the first ones out. See:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/nikon-niche/306425-need-help-nikonos-enthusiasts-digital-nikonos-company-seeks-info.html

The problem with using a cropped sensor like the Olympus sensor is you lose the wide angle capability -- unless you add some optics in the housing to compensate. Piratepro apparently planned to, they mention a compensating lens for the housing.

Perhaps when we get out of this recession, the idea will fly. As for now, it looks financially challenged.

Nauticam make a housing for the Sony NEX5 that accepts Nikonos lenses using an adapter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom