Raja Ampat Insight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...if you want to go out of Raja it self and dive some of the other awesome areas around it like Misool...

Misool is actually part of Raja Ampat - the name means "Four Kings", and refers to the four main islands in the area: Waigeo, Salawati, Batanta, and Misool.

Kri and Sorido resorts are on the North side of Batanta, so staying there you will dive mainly the area between Batanta and Waigeo. Misool Eco Resort is, of course, on one of the small islands surrounding Misool. The advantage of a Liveaboard is that you can visit both in the same trip. You'll also find that unlike other areas of the world, the land-based resorts are not significantly cheaper than Liveaboards.

Against that, if you're a keen photographer, staying at a resort does mean that you can revisit dive sites several times if you want to, and perfect that shot!

I am sitting in Hong Kong on my way back from 12 nights at Sorido Bay. I intend a full report, but who knows when that will get done.

The visibility was not always the best and we definitely had strong currents at times. But the coral diversity and health was fantastic and the clouds of fish, numerous nudibranchs, etc., were great.

As to the original question on liveaboards, we saw 4-5 of them in the area every day. They weren't moving much and were diving the same spots (including being dropped on top of us). What I definitely noticed was their obvious lack of real knowledge of the reefs and currents. Not surprising but with unpleasant consequences for the divers. We often saw divers popping up scattered over a large area, a sign of currents taking them. Sometimes the Sorido guides changed the dive location after they observed currents. I like going with the folks who know.

We definitely observed poor diving skills from liveaboard divers with no correction by any guides and guides prodding fish out for the divers to see.

The folks from Kri generally loved it. It's far more "Papuan" in style (electricity but no running water). Sorido has AC, running hot and cold water. Both have a neat feel.

On another level, Sorido and Kri provide employment to many Papuans, which the liveaboards do not.

Andy

Andy...just saw you email...sitting in Manado around 4am....catching my flight this AM to SoWrong and headed to hang out at Sorido for a week. I do agree with you about the dive guides and knowing where to dive. Last year Max and I took a flight in his plane and observed a couple of LOB's diving in the wrong spots. There are very few that know the dive spots....Gotta GO!

Say hi to Rudy for us and tell him I sent a message to him at the info email address since I didn't have his!

Thanks and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom