Scuba Diver Pulled Down 300 Feet Below by Giant Tuna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm so overwhelmed by this incident I think it's best I stay out of the ocean for awhile. I'll just hang out at the pool or maybe just read up on Darwin's chapter on "Natural Selection" aka "Survival of the Fittest".

Last edited:
Kudos hombre Scombridae, I salute you!

I am thinking: if this was me, and even if I did have a speargun clipped in to a D ring, at about the point I hit 180 feet and still descending... if I can't cut the line, I am shedding the entire rig and heading for the surface...

According to a guy in Davao (on my friend's facebook wall), these spearfishers normally go down very deep, about 200 to 250 feet, to wait for tuna. So it is likely that the dragged down diver was already at such depth before being dragged down to 300. I don't know what air or dive profile were used.

What muddy's the waters even more with this story is if you go to the article on the Manila Bulletin's website and read the comment posted there dated Oct 26 at 18:17 hours stating the Philippine Coast Guard had nothing to do with the rescue or medevac/airlift as they so claimed. If that is the case how embarrassing for them :shocked2:

The comment goes on to give details of the rescue from start to finish.

What muddy's the waters even more with this story is if you go to the article on the Manila Bulletin's website and read the comment posted there dated Oct 26 at 18:17 hours stating the Philippine Coast Guard had nothing to do with the rescue or medevac/airlift as they so claimed. If that is the case how embarrassing for them :shocked2:

The comment goes on to give details of the rescue from start to finish.

Which only highlighted the poor investigative journalism skills of the authors on both newspapers. It seemed like they only got the story from one source - the unreliable coastguard. Shouldn't they have interviewed other people / experts which looked quite easy given the details being shared by other people on the comments posted?! It's obvious, these reporters did not make the effort to get their story straight. :no:

But then again, if they did, there wouldn't be as much jokes cracked on this thread. hehehe

Pang-halloween itong istoryang ito. tsk, tsk, tsk...

Regards,
Gi

Regards,
Gi

A treat for all you anti spearfishing dweebs. Yeah....Philippines jacks....mmmmm

6214_1135271513663_1583599415_330815_2827192_n.jpg

Terry and his co-author Dave Sipperly do not believe in mixing scuba and spear guns. They are freedivers.

Shooting tuna on scuba won't make landing the fish any easier. If anything it's far more dangerous than free diving using a breakaway system with multiple floaters, like Terry and others did when shooting monster fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom