13 ft Boston Whaler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterlloyd

Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen a few threads re: diving out of 13 foot Boston Whaler .
Those that do it could you provide me with a little feedback , I am curious on if they take a ladder etc .

They look real compact , if they worked for diving I would certainly entertain the thought of getting another boat .
Thanks

Check the total combined motor, passenger weight capacity , then do the math . Keep the boat light as possible . A 25 or 40 hp tiller 2 stroke are light and plenty of power . A ladder is necessary and put it on the transom . you can add steering to a tiller outboard . I use a rope pull outboard . You will never have a dead battery .

Frankly, having had a 13 footer growing up and later (and still having a 13 foot Novurania Cancuro inflatable and a Boston Whaler Outrage) in the 13 foot range I would look into an inflatable (not an RIB) with about a 25 horse engine like the Yamaha two stroke 25.

But a 13 foot Whaler is a classic and a solid investment if you shop for a clean boat and keep it stock.

N

We have done three divers out of a 13' Whaler and it is definitely a flat water boat. No issues with space and there is not need for a ladder as it sits very low to the water line.

I have been out in a 13 foot Whaler with three other divers plus myself in somewhat rougher seas. The flatter bottom means you get bounced around a little more and just aqbout everyone started going a little green once the boat stopped, but we didn't have any issues otherwise. Those really are standard work-horse boats for the research community. The low gunwales make entry and exit without a ladder easy. Hang a clip over the side to attach your BC and you're in like a seal! I'm sure a hang-over-the-side ladder could be fashioned if deemed necessary.

I love mine. It's a SuperSport with a 2 stroke 35 hp Evenrude. I'm in the Puget Sound and dive dry - usually with camera gear. The Whaler has to also serve as tender to a 40' Nova so I needed to keep it pretty much as is at 825# for the davit. I also use it for fishing and running my first mate / dive buddy back and forth for shopping excursions :)

My SuperSport comes with stainless railing so I mounted a Garlic dive ladder off the transom. I am thinking of removing the bow section of railing for dive entry and for ingress / egress issues at shore. I also clip my gear off over the side. As far as it being a flat water boat... I OFTEN us it in 3' seas which I don't consider flat. Yea, it's a bit bumpy but I just run it slow and it's fine. Pulling crab and shrimp pots in a 3' chop does get a bit challenging but it just makes them taste all the better :)

Combine all that and I end up liking my whaler so much that if I sold the Nova I'd keep the whaler.

I OFTEN use it in 3' seas which I don't consider flat.
I don't think I have ever seen 3' seas :confused: Okay so once in a great while the ocean will get down to 3'-4' (Of course this is only during the week and never on a weekend). Usually though it starts at around 4' and goes UP from there. Typically we dive in 5'-7' seas. Then again we dive in the open Pacific Ocean.

Shoot a 15' inflatable with a 50hp motor on it would only weight about 750 lbs.

Yea, but I suspect you have just a few more feet between waves :) And as far as a new tender goes I'm already wider than the beam on the Nova so I'm kind of limited there - and NO, I'm not moving up to a 60-70 foot motoryacht to handle a larger tender :) If I put out any more money it'll be for a rebreather.

Three foot seas three feet apart are not the same as three footers 30 feet apart. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom