DS-161/DS-51 combination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

takohachi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been using a DS-51 as my secondary strobe for several months and it has performed beautifully until recently. The strobe still fires, but it is now firing only 60% of the time. I am shooting in low light conditions, often at night, but the strobe has been working reliably for the majority of the time I've been working with the 161/51 combination.

The switch inside my Ikelite housing (D90) is set to the low setting and both strobes are set to TTL. I shoot macro subjects mostly at 1/60 to 1/125 shutter speed.

The DS-161 fires reliably every time. However, I'm at a loss as to why the DS-51 should not also fire every time.

I've read that TTL is somewhat less reliable with mismatched strobes, so I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem. I will be picking up a DS-160 in about a month and will try balancing the strobes then, but I'm curious to learn what could be causing this problem. Any advice would sure be appreciated.

tako

Last edited:
Thanks. I suppose when I put the new strobe on in place of the DS-51, I'll know which.

The DS51 is the problem. Though, because it worked occasionally before it failed, it must be something other than the bulb or any other visible element. I'll send it back for repair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom