canon G11 WP-DC34 and fish eye dome?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan,

thanks so much I will try as soon as possible your solution :wink:

I will even try to little bit modify it with this INON adapter attached photo, so the fiber optic cable wont need to be glued to your smart solution adaptor home made :wink:

Attachments

• W9_holder_s.jpg
    W9_holder_s.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 117
Gilligan,

thanks so much I will try as soon as possible your solution :wink:

I will even try to little bit modify it with this INON adapter attached photo, so the fiber optic cable wont need to be glued to your smart solution adaptor home made :wink:

At first I attached my old Inon cable connector like yours to my homemade plastic device. Too much stuff and not necessary. Just glue the cable to the plastic device. Less chance of falling off.

For the G11 with external strobe (I used the SeaLife SL961 Digital Pro Flash).

Steps I took to set this up with the same wet dome lens.

• Use the velcro patch and glue it (epoxy resin) to the underwater case directly in front of the camera flash
  • Test the flash to make sure it works fine
  • Use a waterproof marker and blacken out the area around the attached velcro patch. This is needed to prevent light bleeding out of the camera case and causing hot spots
  • Attached the wet lens
  • Enjoy :)

I did use the diffuser for the strobe. The shots came out great.

Hello,

sorry it took me this much to repply to you but I was in a dive trio trying exactly this dome.

Well it isnt buoyant since you have to fill it up with water between the dome and the camera housing

Big problem I found is that many times was very hard to focus or even impossible to focus and I dont know why !

dome manual says to have the camera set in macro position I did but some times its hard or impossible to focus ambient takes I dont know why

the other major problem is that you cant use the canon housing flash diffuser it cant be installed together with the dome, this is another major problem

also removing the dome and putting it back underwater is not very eassy but nor impossible takes a little time

For the rest when you do manage to focus and have good nature light pics are great

I would say its a cheap solution with wide angle pics

Any other comments from other users will be welcome

Mario

1. Well it isnt buoyant since you have to fill it up with water between the dome and the camera housing
  2. Big problem I found is that many times was very hard to focus or even impossible to focus and I dont know why !
  3. dome manual says to have the camera set in macro position I did but some times its hard or impossible to focus ambient takes I dont know why
  4. the other major problem is that you cant use the canon housing flash diffuser it cant be installed together with the dome, this is another major problem
  5. also removing the dome and putting it back underwater is not very eassy but nor impossible takes a little time
Mario

1. I didn't have a bouyancy issue...in fact mine floated away pretty fast :( You can always add some foam to it. Just make sure your camera is strapped to you...if it floats away your chances of retrieving it are not good. If it sinks, unless the bottom is really deep you can generally retrieve the camera
  2. The focus can be an issue if it's dark. The camera is trying to focus on something but there is not enough light. A way to resolve this is getting a focus light which will give your camera something to target. Focus lights are small addon lights and some strobes even have them built in (e.g. ys-110a).
  3. I had no issue with my camera set to macro mode
  4. In terms of the light bleeding check otu Gilligans post for an advanced solution or my post on a simple solution but the bleed should not be an issue with the wet lens.
  5. My only issue with the wet lens is that on occasion I would knock it a bit and not realize it was off center for a few shots. Not a huge deal and just requires some care. I liked it.
Post some pics when you get a chance

Regards

I had plenty of daylight and it still had problems focusing ! I dont know why

Hope subscribers won't mind me hijacking this thread, but I have a different challenge with the Dome Port. I keep getting light reflections in the bottom corners of the shot, presumably from the sun's reflection. No matter how I adjust the lens hood, these seem to appear in brighter light. Apart from ensuring that I only shoot with my back to the sunlight - any ideas out there. Anyone else seeing this..?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom