Scuba Magazines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We get Sport Diver and Alert Diver in the mail, and pick up Dive Training and our local newsletter, Northwest Dive News, at the dive shop. Dive Training occasionally has some useful articles, and I believe it is DT that has a feature each month highlighting local diving (as opposed to the endless articles about trips to distant and expensive places :) ).

If you are interested in stories about some more challenging diving, and some articles about diving theory, Advanced Diver Magazine (which is now only on line) has some fabulous contributing photographers and some very good writers. Underwater Journal has SB's own Debersole as a regular contributor, as well as Doppler; despite its emphasis on rebreathers, I enjoy reading it. And although it isn't free (but the membership to get it is only $29, I believe) the GUE house magazine, Quest, has some excellent articles, both on diving adventures and on technique, equipment, and physical fitness.

The dive magazine business seems to be going the way of the other popular press magazines that don't have scantily-clad people on the cover, and some that do. Higher printing and distibution costs squeezing the margins, erosion of good crisp writing into what today passes for feature writing, and the onset of competive forces make the good scuba magazine a rarity. But there are some exceptions:

For me, Alert Diver is the best. Their revamped design and content finally created a dive magazine worth reading and keeping.

At one time or another, I probably subscribed to every dive magazine published in north america, and read a few that were not.

Undercurrent is great if you are into dive travel. Their reviews seem to be spot on. They just seem to concentrate on places where I don't go. I did subscribe to it for a while, but found it of limited use for me so my subscription lapsed.

Scuba Diving is the next subscription that will lapse. They just don't seem relevant for me anymore.

Webzines, check out Underwater Journal and some of the others listed in the prior message.

I stopped subscribing to Sport Diver and Scuba Diving magazines when they started throwing in breathless articles about how cool and easy decompression and rebreather diving was, and how everyone should be doing it. Drove me nuts.

Alert Diver is absolutely the best out there. Dive Training is pretty good. X-Ray is generally a lot of fun to read as well.

I stopped reading dive training when, on their cover, they showed two divers STANDING on the bottom. I just dont think their education is the kind I am willing to partake in anymore.

The other mainstream magazines are just large advertisements with very little substance except for some nice pictures. As gsk3 mentions, DANs magazine is great and in my experience Advanced Diver is pretty useful, too.

I stopped reading dive training when, on their cover, they showed two divers STANDING on the bottom. I just dont think their education is the kind I am willing to partake in anymore.

The other mainstream magazines are just large advertisements with very little substance except for some nice pictures. As gsk3 mentions, DANs magazine is great and in my experience Advanced Diver is pretty useful, too.

OK standing on the bottom. Please explain that one.

Don't forget about California Diver Magazine!

SEPTCOVER.jpg

California Diver Magazine - Dedicated to scuba diving and skin diving in California. Subscribe today!

to add to the list of non-english magazines, there's the Quebec-based En Profondeur (put out by the FQAS, the Quebec underwater federation). I was flipping through a copy at work last night that mysteriously found its way into a grocery store magazine rack. it has some local stuff and some travel stuff, but unfortunately for me, not worth the $5 it costs.

OK standing on the bottom. Please explain that one.

There is a east cost/DIR/cave diver mentality that if you can not budy breath, shoot an SMB and do S-drills in the horizontal position while hovering mid water, you are NOT a real diver.

Thaen their is the rest of the world that understands to need for stabilization or a fixed object to apply toruqe to in order to perform a task or avoid collision with something fragel like a coral reef. :wink:

Last edited:
For those of you interested in Public Safety Diving or Underwater Crime Scene Investigation, you can get a free subscription to an internet based magazine called PSDiver Monthly. The subscription form is easy and is at PSDiver.com.

Mark Phillips

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom