Fish ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

#3 is the speckled hind, Epinephelus drummondhayi. Nice photo! Not in the usual books because it is usually deep.

I have a complete species list for the Caribbean on my website that you can use to do process of elimination when you are stumped.

ben
coralreeffish.com

#3 is the speckled hind, Epinephelus drummondhayi. Nice photo! Not in the usual books because it is usually deep.

I have a complete species list for the Caribbean on my website that you can use to do process of elimination when you are stumped.

ben
coralreeffish.com

Excellent..! Thanks...

Your site looks terrific...

Mike

With all due respect to Ben, #3 is a scamp, Mycteroperca phenax. Scamp are highly variable in color (shades of brown, cream and yellow) and spot patterning, but the telltales include the irregular exsertions on the tail and anal fin. Small(er) scamp like this one are often mistaken for yellowmouth grouper. The yellow mouth corners are NOT a good ID character, either.

OK, I guess that there is some difference of opinion about #3. I might just leave that one out for now, since I already have other examples of the scamp and of the speckled hind.

Mike

Sorry- all I can say is I must have gone color blind or downloaded the wrong photo somewhere along the line... I agree it is a scamp- doctormike, your scamp is a juvenile with the blotches, the #3 is the scamp adult with the smaller version of the spots. If you guys want to be really stumped- this fish photo is of the Galapagos endemic grouper... look familiar?

http://content1.eol.org/content/2009/05/21/16/75029_large.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom