never give up on a Sea Shepherd!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember the poaching wars of the 90s? African Game Wardens were actually having firefights with bushmeat poachers just to save the animals.

This isn't much different, except that the Sea Shepherd doesn't have official government backing. If what the Japanese are really doing is illegal, it should be Navy (does Australia have a Navy?) destroyers out there battling the whaling ships.

If what the Japanese are really doing is illegal, it should be Navy (does Australia have a Navy?) destroyers out there battling the whaling ships.

International waters ... champ! :wink:

You know Pete, that is an excellent idea
To punish a show because of one or two of the exhibitors is a knee jerk reaction that does nothing for the diving community nor does it make much of a statement. Oh, it sounds pious, but really: who cares if some guy from California finds yet one more reason not to fly to Florida for a show he never intended on going to anyway. Oh the drama! The Florida Dive Show will be FUN and you can bet that I will be pointing them to this thread if I can. :D

Although I sympathize with the Sea Shepard cause, they lost me when they resorted to piracy on the high seas.

All the best, James

Bingo, we have a winner. SS and his lot are a terrorist organization. If you give them money, when one someone dies as a result of his reckless actions their blood is on your hands.

I don't like whaling, but this is not the way to handle it.

In all seriousness, what does that mean? Can you kill someone without reprecussion in international waters?

Kill someone? You can't even have a couple of joints on board, but you can have several tons of whale meat if you are a Japanese research vessel because you can't do reaserch with killing the whale and harvesting the meat.

In all seriousness, what does that mean? Can you kill someone without reprecussion in international waters?

What?! Have you been sniffing glue?

If you actually think about it for a moment the answer is obvious.

International waters means exactly that, it is not owned by one particular country. Who says what is and is not legal in international waters and who enforces it? Some crimes are obvious, such as murder. In those cases I believe any State vessel can arrest the perpetrators of such crimes.

The Australian Navy (yes we have one) can and does enforce Australian law in Australian territorial waters. It has no legal authority to take enforcement action on a Japanese vessel engaged in whaling in international waters because that could be viewed as an act of war.

The Australian Government could (I believe), if it wanted to, impound the vessel and arrest the crew if they docked in an Australian port or they could refuse them permission to use an Australian port. There was a possibility this might have happened last year to either the Jap or SS vessels with all the boat ramming going on.

Here. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=international+waters&l=1

Last edited:
"does Australia have a Navy?"

:rofl3:

And Australia is unlikely to use their Navy to stop the Japanese whaling, given their whaling is perfectly legal.

No. But if you could ALOT more guys would take couples trips...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom