Help with Canon S90 Settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkgal

New
Reaction score
I am just getting the hang of shooting on apperature priority...most shots at f3.5 -4 at a 60th. The shutter speed did not vary yesterday (in 10' of water, moderate sun) and the fish pics were out of focus. I have been advised by an expert NOT to change the settings, but I'll never be able to get good pics of moving fish if I don't go to shutter priority! Any suggestions, anyone? THANKS!

I am just getting the hang of shooting on apperature priority...most shots at f3.5 -4 at a 60th. The shutter speed did not vary yesterday (in 10' of water, moderate sun) and the fish pics were out of focus. I have been advised by an expert NOT to change the settings, but I'll never be able to get good pics of moving fish if I don't go to shutter priority! Any suggestions, anyone? THANKS!

Hi sharkgal,

First of all, I am not an expert. Far from in fact, I am just starting to experiment with manual settings, like yourself, with my much older Canon A80.

From my experience, I'd say 1/60th is too slow for a moving fish and is borderline hand held. Try experimenting a bit with your own settings.

In shallow water and moderate sun shine you can prolly go up to 1/320 depending...

Here's one I took the other day, not moving, but similar conditions to what you described. I really like this shot.
Exif | Sea urchin | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I found this thread very helpful and also taking a stack of photos on land in the housing.

I agree not knowing what flash equipment you have or don't have it's hard to determine but you need at least 1/60 or preferred 1/90 speed. Our d90 system with two ikelite ds51 strobes is usually shot at 1/90 and F8 and adjusting the strobes to handle the light. This seams to work well in most situations.

Hi

My A85 defaults to 1/60 when shooting with the flash in Av mode. Maybe that's what you experienced. That's why I always use Tv (shutter priority) and select faster speeds. I posted a few tutorials explaining how to get good results in priority modes at DigitalAquamarine.com.

JY.

I usually opt for Tv - certainly for things that are moving (and 1/60 is a little slow for that). Try it with 1/100 or faster and see if it helps (you can take multiple pics of the same or similar subjects with different shutter speeds and look on the computer after to see what effect the shutter speed has on freezing the subject and the other things it will do). If you don't have an external strobe and if you're close to the subject and there's not too much crap in the water for a flash, force the flash - if there's enough ambient light (and/or lots of crap in the water that would cause backscatter) or if the subject is a long way away, turn the flash off.
If the subject is very close in - use the little macro button for close focussing.

Av is good for more static subjects, but they won't be harmed by Tv 1/100 either, so you can simplyfy things by using Tv.

(On land I will often switch back to Av).

The moving fish shots I have made with my S90 can basically be divided in two. The shots taken in blue water have been on 1/125 and f 2.0 and the shots here in Denmark's green water have been on 1/60 and f 5.6. The latter are shot with an external flash (Sea & Sea YS110a) which freezes movements.

Shooting moving fish with a point and shoot camera is a challenge; the focus is not as fast as in a DSLR so patience is required. You can help the focus system in the camera by providing sufficient light, i.e. shallow clear water and sunshine or a focus light.

One opinion is to shoot manual if you have a good strobe. Forget AV or TV. Learn to shoot manual and let the brains in the camera/strobe figure out how much light to add. That way you can control background illumination, depth of field and motion blur (if you want it).

Bill

Back
Top Bottom