TSA got you down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm limiting my optional air travel to the extent I can.

If someone showed me that TSA actually caught terrorists, I might be more sympathetic. I understand that they catch jerks, but I don't know about terrorists.

And, who exactly is it that formulates TSA search policy? Is it someone we elected? Is it someone hired by someone we elected? Is there any oversight by someone we elected? Is there any oversight by someone hired by someone we elected? Or did someone just announce they were in charge of the TSA and then start making rules?

BTW: I'll shut my mouth as soon as members of the Cabinet and Senators submit to the searches.

Oh, and God Bless the District Attorney elect of San Francisco, who purportedly promised to prosecute any TSA agent who touches someone in the "private parts." I wonder if a felony conviction would preclude someone from working for the TSA.

If you are that worried about it walk into the airport with minimal carry on luggage and wear just a dive skin, if they want to pat you down just tell them you will strip down, because if they cannot see if you are hiding something in a dive skin then there are bigger issues........

@noreastdiver - nope - look for the report of the guy who stripped to his undies as he didn't want to be irradiated or have a 2nd molestation by the TSA in a week - the TSA agent wanted him to put his clothes back on so he could be patted down !
It's all theater and corruption (look who is making the $) - hopefully someone will prosecute someone from the TSA for sexual molestation soon and win - would love to be on that jury.

So, you have a better idea?

I'm not a security expert, nor do I play one on TV, but this article is an interesting read:
The 'Israelification' of airports: High security, little bother - thestar.com

My sister is a global traveler as a byproduct of her profession so she sees airport security all over the world and she claims TSA security is the most invasive, rude, slow yet inadequate security she's seen anywhere. Again, I can't verify this personally, but I trust my sister, she's a smart cookie.

Not going get the minimum wage TSA agents to that level of competency...hence the current methods. In addition, Israel has about 1/60th of the air traffic we do...and it will not be feasible to undertake that kind of examination in this country.

Ben Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv has almost identical traffic to my Portland International Airport. We need to compare apples to apples (airport vs. airport) not apples to oranges (airport vs. entire country).

I just canceled a dive trip to Bonaire so that I wouldn't have to submit to state authorized sexual molestation.

:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

If it was a question of getting to Bonaire or not, I would go out for dinner and a movie with the TSA officer, and maybe go home to meet his parents...!

:D

Two good recent articles about this... by Bruce Schneier and Patrick Smith. There are two HUGE security holes left in the current theatrics: airport workers (unscreened, with full access to the planes) and checked baggage. I agree about the limits on liquids. Either they are a risk or they are not. If they are NOT a risk, let people bring them on the plane, and stop making us dump out our expensive airport drinks. If they ARE a risk, then why are there medical exemptions (irrigation solutions, contact lens solutions, infant formula, etc...)..? What, Al Quaeda can't forge a doctor's note?

Work has me all over the world lately, and to places with REAL everyday Terrorist problems like Turkey with the PPK and India with just about every Islamic nut job and Maoist out there.

Security in Hyderabad, India starts at the drive where you get out of the car – which is at least 25 yards from the door where the nice guard asks to see your itinerary or pre-printed ticket. No itinerary or ticket, you don’t get into the terminal. Next is a good time at the check in desk followed by a very sensitive metal detector, then stand on the box for the pat down. Last, you may get checked in the line to board the aircraft.

In Moscow, it was metal detectors at the door, one at normal security, and a final one at the boarding gate.

At most tourist hotels in India, Russia, and Turkey your car will be stopped at the hotel gate for a check where the nice men will look under the car with a mirror and open your trunk, look in the glove box, and under the seat. At the door to the hotel or any Mall you will go through metal detectors and your bag will be x-rayed.

Now, can you see the US doing any of the above?

I have to say that in Europe, the Middle East, and in India it is all very polite and well set out, you just don’t have a choice – by the way, some of the tall Blond Polish border guards can pat me down anytime. Nothing like a young 5’10” Blond in cami, boots, and a Glock.

But I have to say, in the US we have some of the most rude and non-polite people be they TAS or the Boards and Customs people at immigration. 99% of them seem to have a large and rough corn cob stuck someplace.

:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

If it was a question of getting to Bonaire or not, I would go out for dinner and a movie with the TSA officer, and maybe go home to meet his parents...!

:D

Two good recent articles about this... by Bruce Schneier and Patrick Smith. There are two HUGE security holes left in the current theatrics: airport workers (unscreened, with full access to the planes) and checked baggage. I agree about the limits on liquids. Either they are a risk or they are not. If they are NOT a risk, let people bring them on the plane, and stop making us dump out our expensive airport drinks. If they ARE a risk, then why are there medical exemptions (irrigation solutions, contact lens solutions, infant formula, etc...)..? What, Al Quaeda can't forge a doctor's note?

How about you by a bottle in the duty free store of high proof brandy or rum, take it on board in the sealed plastic bags, break the bag open and have a Molotov cocktail!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom