ID fish from the Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few from a recent trip to La Paz.

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

#3 - what kind of nudibranch
IMG_3220.jpg

Have a few more but will post them later.
Thanks

Number 1 is what I call a Blue Chomis

Number 2 is a juvenile King Angelfish (I think).

Number 3 is a cool nudi! :D (I have no idea)

I never did get an ID on this flat worm from the Sea of Cortez... I call it the "Velvet Elvis"

I think your pics are:
#1= juvenile Cortez Damsel
#2 = juvenile Queen Angel
#3 = Slimey Slug nudi

And the "Velvet Elvis" really rocks!

I can't stand identifying #3 a slimey slug. It is so disrespetful so I did a bit of research and determined the identification is = tambja abdere nudibranch.

The Velvet Elvis still rocks!

I think you are absolutely right about queens and kings.... and of course that makes sense ..... after all Elvis was (is?) the KING of rock and roll!
Awesome critter!

We see these critters all the time in the Sea of Cortez.

#1 - Juvenile Cortez Damselfish (Jaqeta de Cortes) (Reef Fish ID Baja to Panama pg 100-1)

#2 - Juvenile King Angel (Reef Fish ID Baja to Panama, pg 24)

Elvis & Nudi will have to wait until I get home to check out my Nudibranch books. :)

The picture of the Velvet Elvis was taken while diving off of your boat Dora! The Rocio del Mar makes the Sea of Cortez quite magical!

Thanks - I have only a small book of the Sea of Cortez (by Daniel Gotshall) and it has most of the critters I saw. I now found the Cortez Damselfish in that book and yes it is a match. But the picture of the Juvenile King Angel looks completely different in the book - that looks like an error in the book! and the nudibranch does in fact look like a tambja abdere nudibranch.

Not really Elvis just an Elvis impersonator I am afraid! This is the Flatworm Mimic (Pseudoceros bajae) it mimics Ghiselin's Chromodorid (Hypselodoris ghiselini) according to this site I found:
Divebums: Flatworm Mimic (Pseudoceros bajae)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom