First camera set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The top end of the point and shoot is the Canon G12 which is about $500. The Canon housing is about $200 and the Ikelite housing is $600 or an aluminum housing for $1200. A strobe would be about $300-$1000. So you can get the whole thing for about $1000-$2700. The advantage of a point and shoot is that you are not wedded to one lens like you are for a DSLR.

By the way, Gilligan takes superb photos and is a minor expert on this subject. You might want to go to his web site and look at his photos. As I said, he is good. He is worth listening to. I prefer the G12 to the S95. The G12 is better at macro (closeups). Closeups work well underwater because many of the small critters will just sit there for you. Also in underwater photography, you want to keep the amount of water between you and your subject at an absolute minimum. Macro fits the bill well.

You will want to shoot RAW. JPEG is a file system that many cameras use. The camera looks at the object and processes the information and stores it as a compact JPEG file. RAW files store all of the information that hits the cameras sensor. It allows you far more ability to correct the white balance (which is critical underwater) and to get detail from shadows and highlights.

You will want a strobe. At even 15', virtually all the reds are gone. Red light is absorbed fast in water. A red fish at 30' does not look red. A strobe will replace the colors again. At greater depths like 80', everything is either blue or green. There are no reds, yellows, oranges and so on. Strobes are essential.

Thanks for the compliment.

I too prefer the G over the S camera. After having used a borrowed S90 here I still prefer my G10 (hope Canon can repair mine). I have made the decision to get a G12 and Canon housing when I get back to the USA next week as a backup to my G10.

I will say I think the S90 and S95 are better suited for add-on wet mount lenses in non-Canon housings as they have less zoom than the G ones therefore having less vignetting with a wide angle lens. The S90 and S95 in Canon housings are also better suited for use without an external strobe than the G cameras in Canon housings due to their shorter housing lens tunnels which interfere less with close-up macro shots.

I am satisfied with the Canon housing and an external strobe and no wet mount lenses so the G cameras are my favorite.

Shop around for some deals on component prices.

Oly E-PL1 camera with lens = ~$430 (maybe $399 at Best Buy)
Oly case - ~$470 - replaceable ports, nice design, made by Sea & Sea.
Tray and arm - ~$150
INON s2000 strobe - ~$470
cable for strobe - ~$80 (don't really need it, but good to have)

Can you really use the INON S2000 without the cable? Will the PT-EP01 allow some visible light UW to have picked up by the super sensitive sensor on the INON strobe as advertised? The Olympus case seem to trap almost all the light from the internal flash...
The S2000 seems so compact and attractive compared to the YS01.

Regarding the original post:
My 2 cents are that if you are looking for good quality UW without too much effort and experimentation I would go for the few good quality P&S like Canon S95 setup or Sea&Sea DX2g. The sea&sea top compact has great ergonomics, unbeatable UW, to set all kinds of settings and a great Wide Angle wet lens to match. Great macro also without additional lenses. The inside camera is made by Ricoh and is great for traveling and shots outside the water (also a WA lens available for non wet shots!). I have used it traveling all over with very little pain on airplanes etc... The Olympus does have much better quality at high ISO and less noise, more punch of course but it is on a different level: you have to deal with different ports, almost impossible to do real macro and wide on same dive, about 2 to 3x the cost and more to lug around.

cheers
Andrea

Can you really use the INON S2000 without the cable? Will the PT-EP01 allow some visible light UW to have picked up by the super sensitive sensor on the INON strobe as advertised? The Olympus case seem to trap almost all the light from the internal flash...
The S2000 seems so compact and attractive compared to the YS01.
You may be right about the Oly housing not allowing much light through, so I don't know if it will work consistently without FO cable. I haven't tried the whole mini-mirror thing they have.

Regarding the original post:
My 2 cents are that if you are looking for good quality UW without too much effort and experimentation I would go for the few good quality P&S like Canon S95 setup or Sea&Sea DX2g. The sea&sea top compact has great ergonomics, unbeatable UW, to set all kinds of settings and a great Wide Angle wet lens to match. Great macro also without additional lenses. The inside camera is made by Ricoh and is great for traveling and shots outside the water (also a WA lens available for non wet shots!). I have used it traveling all over with very little pain on airplanes etc... The Olympus does have much better quality at high ISO and less noise, more punch of course but it is on a different level: you have to deal with different ports, almost impossible to do real macro and wide on same dive, about 2 to 3x the cost and more to lug around.

cheers
Andrea
Andrea, I didn't think it was much more to lug around.
And can someone please document the 2 to 3 times the cost number for a basic kit. I can't figure out what people are using to calculate that. Sure if you want to buy the 9-18mm lens that will set you back $570 .. and then adding a dome, etc.
Prior to my upgrading to the e_pl1, I used the G9 with Ike housing and strobe, Wide angle lens (Designed for 35mm not 28mm so no need to zoom to use), close up lenses, etc for a couple of years. That setup was way heavier and bigger than the Olympus / Inon system I have now and roughly the same cost. I now have a much more compact system with similar strobe output, much larger sensor and all that brings (quality & flexibility & HD video with manual controls).

Last edited:
mmm well, without the wide angle option it is about 1.5x the cost. I had to recommend different budgets for my students and so I researched a bit a few weeks ago. I checked again and basically the photo budgets on anything I would recommend:
1) 500$ for the very entry with a Fuji F200 type sensor 1.7" I had very good experiences with Fuji!). Maybe better some final stock on the DX1G or Canon S90 at about 550$ or so!
2) 800$ for the SEA&SEA DX2G (or S95)
3) 1300$ for the EPL1 with Oly housing and Macro lens and adapter (if you want to be close to same level of MACRO functionality as 2) above

When I meant 2x I meant for the setups I have with the WA lens from SEA&SEA which is 350$ vs. 1100+$ for the ZEN dome + Lens + ring. Total for the setup is 800+350=$1150 on the DX2G vs.$2300 on Oly. But once you get into this game of better quality photos you go further into more lenses etc.!

Weight is also around 2x. I measured 850g vs. 1750g on Oly without WA. The WA will add 550g on the DX2G but I cannot measure the ZEN dome which I do not have :depressed:
So given the better quality of the Olympus ( I summarize it as going to an ISO100 on 1.7" sensors to ISO800 image delta on M/43) it is a tough call when I travel tight on weight!

Of course %wise the strobes and the rest would be equal weight and I did not count them in.

It also makes a difference the easyness and great ergonomics of the DX2G/DX1G when shooting UW. I almost never worry about DOF, I can do wide or macro shots in seconds, and it still focuses quite fast (well at night the DX2G does succeed while the Oly needs a focus light so you are bound to choose a strobe with light if you want to save from buying a separate focus light!).

The OLy will force you to setup a lot more but the results are sometimes great! So it really depends on the experience, the shooting we like to do (and time we have!), and traveling that will help make a choice.

cheers!

mmm well, without the wide angle option it is about 1.5x the cost. I had to recommend different budgets for my students and so I researched a bit a few weeks ago. I checked again and basically the photo budgets on anything I would recommend:
1) 500$ for the very entry with a Fuji F200 type sensor 1.7" I had very good experiences with Fuji!). Maybe better some final stock on the DX1G or Canon S90 at about 550$ or so!
2) 800$ for the SEA&SEA DX2G (or S95)
3) 1300$ for the EPL1 with Oly housing and Macro lens and adapter (if you want to be close to same level of MACRO functionality as 2) above
cheers!
In the US the internet prices for E-PL1 with 14-42 lens + Oly Housing + zoom gear ring is 450+480+35 = $965
I would hesitate to have the OP add a macro lens right away, given the added criticality of focusing and buoyancy, etc. but I can see why other may desire it. I do have an INON macro lens and the Oly adapter but haven't had a chance to use them yet (with the Oly)

BTW, The canon camera in a canon housing is really good. I use one for my backup and have gotten some great pictures with them, but for that higher level, and still within your budget (or close) there are better options.
With any system, good pictures are the result of the photographer, not the camera. You can however, just as in other pursuits, improve your results with the right tools.

Before you drop $1,500 I personally would advise you to start a little lower. As you said, you know nothing about U/W photography. That includes not knowing if you really like it.

I have had three canon cameras with the canon housing. I started off with an A series and now have a G10 with tray and external strobe. I get some really good shots. The only real drawback I've found is that the P&S camera's have a hard time on spot focus close up. i.e. a cleaner shrimp inside a fish mouth. All in all it's a great rig.

I eventually plan to get a good DSLR, housing, strobe rig. But between work and family I don't have the opportunity to dive enough to justify it.

Also, something to keep in mind is that diving for pictures is different than diving for fun. What I mean is pictures require a lot of time and attention to get the shot you want. This means you miss other aspects of the dive. I plan beforehand if I'm after pictures or just looking around. I still bring my camera but leave the strobe and all behind if I'm just diving.

Just my 2 cents...

Lumix TS2 and housing, about $600.00. The TS2 itself is water proof so no problem if housing floods. Also, camera alone good to 33 fsw so can be used for snorkeling and shallow dives w/o housing. Movies are excellent (camera has built in movie light), stills OK. Stills can be niosy if ISO goes to 400. Next step up in image quality at lowest cost (about double) would be E-pl1.

Just to share. After some research and posting in this forum, I ordered E-PL1 with 10bar housing to replace my SP-350. I also have G9 system. As the compact user, I would like to have a relatively compact better system at reasonable cost and the system which also give a bit flexibility.
Wrt macro wet lens, I haven't tried underwater, but I did check topside the macro capability of oly 14-42 lens with macro lens Inon UCL165M67; work well and no problem with focusing; in fact easier and faster for short working distance.
The choose 10bar housing since I want to use true TTL of my existing housed strobe.

If I'm in OP position, the "relatively" simple system will be E-PL1 + Oly housing + Inon D2000 or S2000. Personally I prefer D2000 although a bit bigger (but still compact).
I can say this configuration is relatively simple - more less P&S camera but giving the flexibility to shoot in manual mode (camera) but strobe in (s)TTL. Canon system (G or S) does not have TTL in manual mode.
Indeed, not very difficult to use full manual mode, but for a beginner, the (s)TTL can be very helpful - just point to the subject and shoot.
Later, once become familiar with the system and having better buoayncy, he can buy adapter and macro lens and other expensive lens (very wide or FE) and special port - yes, at this time we talk about $$$.

Lumix TS2 and housing, about $600.00. The TS2 itself is water proof so no problem if housing floods. Also, camera alone good to 33 fsw so can be used for snorkeling and shallow dives w/o housing. Movies are excellent (camera has built in movie light), stills OK. Stills can be niosy if ISO goes to 400.

I agree with you Michael: TS2 (FT2) movies are excellent and stills are OK (check my latest UW photos Sharm el Sheikh, oct.2010 album | Primoz | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy. and videos YouTube - PrimozP's Channel - all taken w/o housing), but if housing floods deeper than 20 meters, TS2 will be flooded too.

Back
Top Bottom