More mundane critter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mntlblok

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I *think* that I've heard that the Townsend Angelfish hybrid does not have the dark blue "crown" of the Queen Angelfish. This pic would suggest otherwise. I have a theory that there must be multiple versions of this hybrid. What say ye experts?

This guy was seen on a shore dive at Lauderdale By The Sea in September.

Kevin

Attachments

• crowned townsend.jpg
    crowned townsend.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 44
The book Fishes of the Caribbean by Human states for the Townsend angelfish:
Queen and Blue Angelfish occasionally interbreed, resulting in fish that share some distinctive markings from both species. For example: may have blue crown without central specks and/or half yellow tail, etc.
The fish on the accompanying picture there has a crown.

K.

Humann's Reef Fish Identification has a picture of the Townsend Angelfish with what appears to be a crown.

The book Fishes of the Caribbean by Human states for the Townsend angelfish:

Queen and Blue Angelfish occasionally interbreed, resulting in fish that share some distinctive markings from both species. For example: may have blue crown without central specks and/or half yellow tail, etc.

The fish on the accompanying picture there has a crown.

K.

*And* has the central specks. . .

Was mainly wondering just how much this hybrid has been studied, especially whether anyone has documented the various forms the hybrids take. If the hybrids aren't sterile, maybe there are also "back-crosses" and such, with who knows what kinds of features. And, if we get this kind of hybrid, why are Grays and Frenches so discriminating? :D It may be that I do a bit too much pondering. . .

Kevin

*And* has the central specks. . .

Was mainly wondering just how much this hybrid has been studied, especially whether anyone has documented the various forms the hybrids take. If the hybrids aren't sterile, maybe there are also "back-crosses" and such, with who knows what kinds of features. And, if we get this kind of hybrid, why are Grays and Frenches so discriminating? :D It may be that I do a bit too much pondering. . .

Kevin

Grays and French angels belong to a different genus, Pomocanthus. They are more closely related to Rock Beauties than either Blues or Queens (which in are in Holocanthus)

Grays and French angels belong to a different genus, Pomocanthus. They are more closely related to Rock Beauties than either Blues or Queens (which in are in Holocanthus)

So, do Pomocanthi have a different religion or something? Why don't Grays and Frenches go at it with each other? :D

Kevin

So, do Pomocanthi have a different religion or something? Why don't Grays and Frenches go at it with each other? :D

Kevin

LOL
You know zee French, they are veerrry snobby.

Actually it has been reported, but only in the laboratory and by mixing gametes, not natural mating. Probably the grays are too drab for the flashy French. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom