Optima Rebreather Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm having some trouble figuring out the Optima Rebreather courses. Could you clarify the specific requirements for each? Are there 3 or 4 steps? (site claims 3 but I have heard 4 elsewhere.)

Thanks!

1 - air diluent
2 - normoxic trimix diluent
3 - hypoxic trimix diluent

IIRC

Air diluent no deco to 30 metres

Air diluent full deco max 45 metres

Mixed gas to 60 metres

Advanced mixed gas to 100 metres

Thanks Steve. I assume you are aware that this contradicts your website? :)
International Training :: Get Certified :: TDI Diver Level Courses :: English

I read on thedecostop that there is also a time delay between the two classes?
The Deco Stop

Is there going to be an Optima manual like the KISS one?

I will point the discrepancy out to the web team and training... sounds like they missed that. We changed the CCR program about a couple of years ago, so it must have been slipping out of the net for a while.

Read the thread on Deco Stop and it seems to sum the situation with time/number of dives pretty well. The situation with experienced decompression OC divers moving straight into level two CCR dives after initial training is a bit of a gray area. The standards are specific, but speaking with several CCR instructors and ITs there seems to be a general feeling that "it depends" meaning although the student would get the required information and training to conduct staged deco on his/her CCR IN SOME CASES the instructor would either suggest the student racks up a couple of dozen hours before ramping up the dives or a couple of folks I know said they would hold the cards and do a day-long sense check after the student has accumulated some experience.

Regarding the manual: I think the strategy with CCR for the foreseeable future is to use our generic manual supplemented with the owner's manual that comes with the unit. It is simply uneconomical and makes zero business sense to produce a unit specific student manual for CCRs. The number of potential sales is just too small to warrant the investment... which is why we opted for generic materials.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying!

I also noticed that Adv Nitrox is now "part" of the AirDil class. Does that mean I need a separate AdvNitrox manual, test, cert-card, class-fee?

Thanks for clarifying!

I also noticed that Adv Nitrox is now "part" of the AirDil class. Does that mean I need a separate AdvNitrox manual, test, cert-card, class-fee?

No separate card or book required... Unless the student needs one for some reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom