Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Say, aren't you the same fella who told us not too long ago about the time you tossed someone's rig overboard because you decided he was too drunk to dive?

Hmmm ... methinks I detect a bit of inconsistency in your logic. Or are those troll alarms I'm hearin' ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

GQMedic:
No secret here that I am a smoker as I've fully blasted some of the more rude non-smokers who feel the need to flap thier gums on SB in the past.

I'm a polite smoker, but ONLY to a point. I will seek a spot where I am quite alone, and downwind of others, where I will light up to my delight. When events lead to the PC non-smokers approach to inform me that my smoke bothers them, I have no problem telling them to move away from me. Hey, I don't seek you out to stand next to you and light up, don't seek me out to stand next to me, flap your gums and breathe.

As I read this thread more, I find myself laughing at the more draconian, politically correct, uptight blowhards on SB. Relax! No need to fiend! Here, have one! Light up! I'll like you much more after you've had a few drags!

Cyklon, you are way uptight! You need a smoke badly! You say there is no right to smoke? (Too funny) There's no right for you to but your nose in other people's business. You said: (quoting you) "When they are eventually restricted to only smoking in their own homes and cars, maybe they'll get the picture that their habit is an unwelcome assault on the health of others" I have to tell you that maybe when you've lipped off to the wrong smoker, and you've been tossed overboard for some distance swimming, you'll get the picture that while you are entitled to your opinion, you're not entitled to press it upon others.

And Michael Schlink, you say: "But when I'm on a dive boat I don't expect it and I don't put up with it. I feel sorry for the one or two smokers hanging in the back of the boat trying to feed their addiction, but if I see my wife (a former smoker), wrinkle her nose, I'm going to say something, I'll sart with polite, but if that doesn't get it done-well then." What are you going to do about it? Nothing, that's what. I like the "well then" and what is that supposed to mean? Does this mean you'll get violent about it? *rolling my eyes* Are you trying to act like a tough guy or something? Are you the smoking police? Dude, have a smoke! Drink a beer! (or a dozen) and lighten up!

Ahh, too funny, you guys are killin' me!

and that is my choice. I hate smoking in a restaurant and I refuse to do it, if I wanted to eat smoke I would have stayed a firefighter. I personally wish all eating establisments were none smoking by the owners choice, not the governments.

If I'm on a boat and my smoking bothers someone and they politely ask me to stop, I'll put it out immeadiately. If they demand I quit, well, that's a different story. Most of the smokers that I know will be more than happy to refrain from smoking as long as the request is made in a civilized manner. By the same token, us smokers should be civilized also.

Lead_carrier:
If I'm on a boat and my smoking bothers someone and they politely ask me to stop, I'll put it out immeadiately. If they demand I quit, well, that's a different story. Most of the smokers that I know will be more than happy to refrain from smoking as long as the request is made in a civilized manner. By the same token, us smokers should be civilized also.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Mutual respect is the key here, IMHO.

Me, I don't smoke but I often notice that non-smokers go out of there way to punish smokers. I think as long as there trying to stay away, not in-your face, or in desiginated smoking area then I've got no complaint. If it aint desiginated as as non-smoking area then I say light up. Now light up at a gas pump or hang out in a doorway/walkway or a non-smokeing section and thats another story.

Now I'm sure there are some who are a bit hyper sentisitive to smoke but I also think there are a lot more who just dislike the habit so much they will go to great lenghts to ensure no one can light up. I dislike people who are rude, il-mannered who feel they have a right to impose there self-importance on someone just because they smoke.

I use smokeless tobacco (DIP) and I still get complaints from the PC crowd. It not like they can get second hand spit. If they do it serves them right for not asking before taking a swig of something that didn't belong to them.

Don, your right they should have had a consistant smoking policy and it should be clearly posted. If it ain't posted No-Smoking then you should be able to light up. I wish the PC happy crowd would take up a better cause like happy hour drunk drivers or inapproiate cell phone use. (While driving, in a movie theater, etc etc..)

Drew Sailbum:
How much of the space on a boat is "yours"?

An example:
A 48' boat with a 16' beam has a flying bridge with that is 12' by 12' beam. Assuming a rectangular (think pontoon boat) shape. This boat has 912 sq ft (768 + 144 on the bridge). With 24 people on board that makes 38 sq ft per person. That is a circle with a radius of about 3 and a half feet.

Your dive boat may have more or less personal space per person based upon boat size and passenger load.

Think a bit about how much space is reasonable. Is 3 and a half feet reasonable? That's about the distance seperating a clerk and a customer across a counter or a bit more than the width of a door.

38 SqFt-?! A lot less than that, to be sure. The problem I had on my example was that the some Militant-Nons took the very aft/rear 12 SqFt, then the other one insisted that everything in front of that was non-smoking. If they'd taken 38 SqFt each forward/front, the only way they could smell smoke would be if we had a tail wind faster than the boat - non happening.

So many Militant Nons will see smoking and imagine that they smell it. Reasonable to react to them...?

Nope

NWGratefulDiver:
Say, aren't you the same fella who told us not too long ago about the time you tossed someone's rig overboard because you decided he was too drunk to dive?

Hmmm ... methinks I detect a bit of inconsistency in your logic. Or are those troll alarms I'm hearin' ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think you right!

I should have put a book down my pants, I just know it.

Can we make that diet sprite? I'm not really a big beer drinker. I used the "beer" comments for kicks -n- giggles.

Michael Schlink:
GQ I think we've been cyber spanked. Hey as long as we can argue and remain friends I'm in. And yes I'll throw money at a problem, seems to get things going in my direction easier than just about anything else. And as I've said I'll buy you all the beers in the bar and not complain about smokers. Just leave me fresh air on the boat. I'm going to watch "O brother where art thou" everyone have a pleasant evening.-M

Lead Carrier makes some good points. Courtesy goes a long way.

However, if I have moved to a secluded portion of the boat, and light up, and I am approached by someone who's decided to invade my space then hassle me about my smoking, I feel annoyed, when pressed, I feel angry. These things don't foster in me any feelings of compliance, just the opposite, it makes me want to puff harder. I've heard the "maybe you should quit", and I reply "Hmm, I don't want to, maybe you should start". It just gets ugly from there. The harassment offends me so much, I want to be defiant, I want to light up one right after the other, just to make a statement. I can't and wont understand why so many non-smokers have to be so militant. I don't seek them out to smoke next to them, I seek solitude. Why is it they feel they must invade my space, invade into my "me time" and annoy the hell out of me? They want respect, but they refuse to give it.

This will continue to be a hot issue for years to come, I think.

Fortunately, it is very rare that I run into the "militant" non-smoker. Courtesy is the key to it all, on both sides. Us smokers should be considerate of the nonsmokers and the nonsmokers should do the same for us. The last time I was harrassed about smoking was my 1st DM instructor. He let me know real quick that if I was seen smoking by anyone in any of his classes that he would immeadiately fail me and I'd have to start the DM class from step one. I looked at him, said screw it and lit one in the classroom. Fortunately, the shop owner is a smoker and thought it was hilarous. I did apologize to everyone in the class at the time personally except the instructor. They thought it was funny too the way I quit.

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
It was Popeye that said/did that

Back
Top Bottom