What make of boat were the adrift Tokelau teens in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking at a photo of the three teens who were recently found at sea, 800-some miles from home, and I could make out "Te Matale(?)" on the bow of the 12 foot aluminum boat. (if you view the video you'll see it behind them on the deck of the ship that saved them)

It's overall design impressed me, and I'm curious as to what the make / model is, and would like to see another example. The boat looks like a nice design for its size.

I figured I'd ask here because the board has members from all over, and because some of you guys travel a lot.

Thanks.

I was looking at a photo of the three teens who were recently found at sea, 800-some miles from home, and I could make out "Te Matale(?)" on the bow of the 12 foot aluminum boat. (if you view the video you'll see it behind them on the deck of the ship that saved them)

It's overall design impressed me, and I'm curious as to what the make / model is, and would like to see another example. The boat looks like a nice design for its size.

I figured I'd ask here because the board has members from all over, and because some of you guys travel a lot.

Thanks.

AluminumAlloyBoats.com

Its a Frewza aluminium chambered craft...

www.frewzaboats.co.nz

Brendon Frew used to work at Stabicraft and specializes on the smaller boats. Stabicraft is one of the largest producers of aluminum chambered hull boats selling all over the world...

www.stabicraft.com

There is/was an american company ACB which originally was supposed to be a partnership between Stabicraft and a US builder which quickly went south... ACB unfortunately is having a tough time and has shut down production while they work to restructure their debt.

There are Stabicraft's and ACB's all around the USA (including Florida) but very popular in the North West/Alaska as Aluminum wears much better than Fiberglass on working boats and in these extreme climates.

Dingy pricing is very competitive compared to a RIB.

Attached is a picture of my 29' Stabicraft with a custom 3 step T-Bar dive ladder on the transom and Diesel Furnace for a hot shower 24x7.

Dwayne
Stabicraft 829 G3 Weekender

Attachments

• Koru.jpg
    Koru.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Niiiiice ... thanks Dwayne.

I knew I was looking at something good, and something better than most of us think about when we think of an aluminum 12' boat.

Thanks for the links, and the pic of yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom