when do you remove a wing from a backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the wing off my second hand BP/W and the aluminium STA was pitted to hell. Now I take it apart to rinse.

I've been taking my wing off to fly and folding it in my carry-on to minimize the chance of it getting pinched and damaged in the checked duffel.

I always remove my wing after every dive for cleaning and drying. How are going to get it clean without removing? It doesn't take 60 seconds to remove

I separate my singles and doubles wings from the plates after each dive. As Lone Frogman mentioned, it's much easier to rinse out the wing when it's separated from the plate.
I don't want to get a pinch flat during transport or storage either. Another reason is because Tobin says so. ;-)
-Mitch

Usually my wings are only on the plate for diving. But my set up allows for very easy removal; I don't use the sex bolts and the wing is just held in place by the cam bands.

I don't think it matters much unless you have a really wimpy wing or you're a real clutz. It is easier to rinse/drain the wing off the plate, though.

From my doubles wing it's easy, just unscrew the doubles from the plate...and from my singles wing, even simpler, just push the rubbery things that Tobin placed nicely on the wing from the plate. :)

BTW, if not underwater, my wings are always transported and taken care of separated from the plate, just because they can be and it's easy to do it.

I have the Mach V as well. I undo the cam straps and the sex bolts every time. I don't see any reason why un threading the cam straps will damage the slots ofMach V

I won't comment about how I almost never remove the wing (singles) from the plate and in 4 years haven't had a pinch... because if I do it'll happen next time I use the system. I have a seperate DSS BP/w for my singles and doubles rig.

The slots on my OMS wings are big enough that the cam buckles go through them. So I don't need to unthread the straps to remove the wing. That's how I rinse out. But for transport in my mesh bag, I don't actually separate the wing, I just keep a bit of air in the bladder. Provides some cushion (if only in my mind). Probably doing it all wrong! As usual! Comments, anyone? :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom