Rescue Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not in great shape by any means but I found the course (SSI) more mentally challenging than physically demanding.

Granted some of the tows had me breathing a bit hard by the end but nothing that someone in average shape couldn't do.

I had a tough instructor with two 6ft US Marine DMs who were out to make my life difficult (I am 5' 7"), trying to drown me before telling me they were now unconcscious and needed a tow. It was the best course I ever did, really taught me how a drowning person might react and how to deal with them.

That was 17 years ago and I still remember well all of the lessons I learned during that period.

Since then I have rescued two other divers for real including one Saudi Coastguard diver!

I took the course at age 52 and also didn't find it physically tough. Did no special training other than my usual 20 mins. daily on the exercise bike. I also did find it more mentally straining, especially the scenarios at the end.

I agree with most everyone here. It isn't extremely demanding, physically. However, it wouldn't hurt for you to work on your tow's and do some laps in the pool with your fins. That's truly the only physically demanding part, swimming the diver back to the shore. Good luck!

When I did my RD course I found it was more mental awareness of the situation than the physical ability. I had thought I needed to haul a 250# guy out of the water but he wasn't available (yeah). But the key is knowing how to respond to the gear the person in need has.

I did my course as CMAS 2 Star Diver just last weekend. It wasn't really physically demanding but it was very mentally challenging. We had our physical fitness tested first at the start of the course since our instructor emphasized the importance of fitness and it's demand in real life rescue. However, the emphasis of the course is to be able to have presence of mind and calmness all the times. Heavy emphasis was place on the proper way for artificial respiration (while towing on the surface) and correct CPR.
Of course, different ways of towing the victim with scubar gears and without gears. Watermanship skills was emphasized. We did only a few lapses of swimming but we were thought on the proper strokes and towing techniques and approaches to a panicked diver.

The amount of physical and mental endurance needed to be successful in the rescue course can be (unfortunately) dependent on the instructor. In general though, for the physical aspect, 50 meter suicide sprints while carrying a 50 lbs. bag wouldn't hurt. If you have never carried a person before, you will find them shockingly heavy and awkward. Any sprint type exercise while carrying a load will help. If you are in decent shape you will be fine. Regarding the mental aspect, if you have been in a career or a situation that involves task loading, snap decision making (under stress), and rudimentary leadership before you should be alright. If your idea of stress is waiting too long for your latte at Starbucks, you might need to work on slowing down your mind and taking things one step at a time. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
Other posters may want to flaunt how awesome they are by pointing out how easy every diving course they have ever taken is but its far more constructive to point out things that may be challenging. In reality, any experienced diver should know that skills that are easy for some can be extremely challenging for others.
Just listen to your instructor, study the course material, and give it a genuine effort and you'll do fine.

-Gabe

If you have the option I would wear a wetsuit over a drysuit. Your wrist/neck seal is at risk during this class, as you will be dragged out of the surf on the rocks/sand/shells.

Other than that the class is a piece of cake. :D

Back
Top Bottom