BP/W choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually not true, unless something has changed in the last few months with the materials DSS uses..

Oxycheq, the last time I checked, has the thickest bladder material available (24 or 25 oz) along with the toughest exterior cover in their "Extreme" series wings which is made out of the same material that they use to make puncture resistant gloves for hypodermic needle safe handling.
The extreme series material is extremely difficult to cut or poke through.

...since you brought it up.

Thanks! In my quest for knowledge, I compared 5 manufacturers but did not validate Oxycheq. What I did find is manufacturers use a combination materials for outer and inner and some are heavy/light, heavy/heavy, light/heavy.

Dwayne

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the companies mentioned.

My personal experience is with a hollis BP and oxycheck wing. I really like that the oxycheq is narrow compared to most of them. I forget if the DSS one is also narrow. The oxycheq also has 3 sets of holes so you can adjust the wing up and down on the plate.

The hollis BP also has 3 sets of holes on the top and a long channel on the bottom for even greater adjustment.

Be mindful that certain brand 'novelties' are not interchangeable. The halcyon cinch system won't fit on the hollis BP and the DSS BP weights are for DSS BPs only, etc.

Oh and I'm in agreement with the previous posts that you should go for the single webbing. I tried a quick-release-adjustable system first and then ended up with a halcyon webbing. Much happier.

Oh and I'm in agreement with the previous posts that you should go for the single webbing. I tried a quick-release-adjustable system first and then ended up with a halcyon webbing. Much happier.

+1 on the simple harness.

Start simple (cheaper) and then upgrade if you need to.

Many new BP&W divers are tempted to opt for the complicated harness, in an attempt to stick with what they are familiar with from previously diving in jacket BCDs. If you're gonna upgrade to diving in a BP&W, then don't get tempted into trying to make it look like a poodle jacket.

If you still want an adjustable harness take look at our G2 harness.
It is as simple and streamlined as continuous webbing harness with the advantage of adjustability and easy don/doff
G2 adjustable diving harness

The low profile buckels are indestructible, same as used on SAR harnesses that lift TWO people out of water.

The price is not that much more than plain harness.

a plate is a plate. Dont worry about manufacturer.

As for wing, i use "frog" which are cheaper halcyon copies but the diverite, OMS,Apeks and others will all be fine. If its single make sure its 30lb lift at most.

Years later, I'm still a huge fan of DSS; Tobin's customer service is second to none (cool_hardware52 here on SB).

+1 on the simple harness.

Start simple (cheaper) and then upgrade if you need to.

Many new BP&W divers are tempted to opt for the complicated harness, in an attempt to stick with what they are familiar with from previously diving in jacket BCDs. If you're gonna upgrade to diving in a BP&W, then don't get tempted into trying to make it look like a poodle jacket.
+1!

This is probably the best advice on this thread.

A BP/W needs a backplate, a wing, a length of 2" harness with a metal buckle, a couple tank bands, and some miscellaneous hardware to hold a few D-rings in place. Depending on the design, you may or may not need an adapter to hold a single tank in place.

Don't spend a bunch of cash on any system with a bunch of extra frills (quick releases, padding, all manner of add-on pockets, "adjustable" harnesses, etc). Instead, get the basic BP/W system and get comfortable with it; you'll know soon enough if you need something "extra" (and you likely won't).

a plate is a plate. Dont worry about manufacturer.

I have tried a few different plates and I did not find that to be the case. I did notice differences that were important to me. Of course everyone is different in how they care about details, and whether or not they need to care (e.g. are you "average" size or not).

Blue Sparkle

Ive used a fair number of plates and not been able to tell the slightest difference between one and another.

It is as simple and streamlined as continuous webbing harness with the advantage of adjustability and easy don/doff

The low profile buckels are indestructible, same as used on SAR harnesses that lift TWO people out of water.

The price is not that much more than plain harness.

Jakub I am so glad you posted this. I have had surgery on both shoulders and this will solve my articulation problem

Agree. I went back to the standard one-piece harness after my arm healed and I figured out that I should be running it a lot looser, but if you need a harness with breaks, this is the one to get. I've personally dangled underneath a helicopter on a harness with those buckles--I don't see how they could possibly fail.

Back
Top Bottom