Advice on Diving the KEYS ( charter, hotels, sites)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kicker1866

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Myself and two buddies are planning on flying down to the Keys after Christmas for some splash-time. We have a private plane and are thinking of either landing in Key Largo or Marathon. We are from Baton Rouge, LA and usually dive P'Cola area as well as Cozumel.

Can anyone assist with the following?

1. Best Charters to use?

2. Sites to make sure we hit?

3. Can we do the Vandenberg and Christ from these spots?

4. Water temp around this time?

5. Hotels suggestions?

6. Restuarants not to miss?

Thanks

Myself and two buddies are planning on flying down to the Keys after Christmas for some splash-time. We have a private plane and are thinking of either landing in Key Largo or Marathon. We are from Baton Rouge, LA and usually dive P'Cola area as well as Cozumel.

1. Best Charters to use?

5. Hotels suggestions?

Thanks

Marathon is smack in the middle...the past 4 years my wife and I stayed there and you can easily get to Key West and Key Largo, but you're gonna have to do a little driving! (morning dives at either spot are pretty much out unless you like to get up at "0 dark 30" to get there for when the boat leaves...most op's leave around 8:00am, want ya there at 7:30 and it's about a 60-75 minute drive...sometimes traffic sucks, sometimes the 7 mile bridge is closed because of an accident :idk:

Anyway.....KW ops I use are either Captains Corner or Subtropic, both go to the Vandy early, then do reefs in the afternoon...sometimes you can get an afternoon Vandy dive. Marathon ops I use are either Captain Hooks or Tildens. KL ops I use are Conch Republic divers, or Blue Water Divers. (google works on all of them)

Sites to hit?
KW: Vandy...that's it!
Marathon: Thunderbolt, the odd reef...most are pretty decent
Key Largo: Spiegel Grove, Duane, Eagle, Molasses reef, etc.

Water temps are in the mid 70's not horrible in a 3mm, but I don't get cold easily. A lot of the locals I've dived with there will use a 5mm and a hood & glove.

Hotels? we usually stay in condo's. Can't help on that one.

Restaurants? Wow..so many good ones to choose from, I've never really had a bad meal down there....here's a few I can remember off the top of my head.

KW: Conch Republic Seafood company, Virgillios.

Marathon: Key Colony Inn, Sharkey's Landing (good sandwiches and beers)

Islamorada: Islamorada Fish Company

Key Largo: The Fish House

There's also a Brazillian steak house in both Key West and Islamorada called Brazalina...you won't walk away hungry!!!!!

Hope some of this helps...have fun!

only 2 runways in the upper keys: ocean reef club and tavernero, both private. homestead general and marathon are the public facilities nearest for upper and middle keys diving along with the runway @ sugerloaf key(runway on summerland restricted for homeowners). key west the only other public airport,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

1. Best Charters to use?
For Key Largo I am biased on Silent World Dive Center since I work there. For Key West Captains Corner

• Spiegel Grove (Key Largo)
• Duane & Bibb (Key Largo)
• Carysfort (Key Largo)
• Vandenberg (Key West)
• Key Largo Dry Rocks / Christ of the Abyss (Key Largo)

Christ and Vandenberg are on opposite ends of the keys so you'll need to use two operators. At Silent World we work closely with shops in Key West so we can accommodate your needs for both locations but the dives on the Vandenberg would be with a different shop.

Mid 70's

5. Hotels suggestions?
Hungry Pelican or Ocean Point Suites

Pilot House (key Largo)

1. Best Charters to use?

5. Hotels suggestions?

Thanks

I am not a Keys expert. The diving at Key Largo is very good.

I do with Quiesence. They run 6 packs. They also have a bunch of small shallow reefs they go to. They know the dive spots very well. If you have close to 6 divers, you can probably talk to them and they will take you where you want to go or close to it. We did Molassus Reef, the Elbow, the Benwood and a number of others. We stayed pretty shallow. I am not really attracted to reef diving that much. There are some deep world class reefs off of Key Largo if that is your interest. They took us to this one little patch reef. It was about 40' long. As I descended, it looked pretty much like nothing. But when I got down close, it had all sorts of little creatures and fish. My buddy and I spent an hour down there and we did not cover half of the reef. It was a pile of fun.

The Vandenburg is off of Key West. I think it is a pretty new wreck. If you like marine life, the older wrecks are better because as they get encrusted, they become part reef and part wreck. Often old wrecks attract quite a few large fish.

There is a big selection of restaurants in the keys. I find some are highly recommended by people that I consider pretty uninteresting. It seems that restaurant preference is a pretty specific thing. I like Mrs. Macs Kitchen in Key Largo. It is a rather funky moderately priced Keys kind of place.

There are a pile of restaurants in the keys by the way. Some are pretty pricey and some are reasonably expensive. It all depends on what you want.

When I am down there, I stay in Key Largo. I go to the local Publix and I generally do most of my own meals on the grill. You can get nice local fish inexpensively down there and they are nice grilled.

speigal grove is a must
christ is a "i can say i dived it"
but still nice reef life
vandenberg,i would if possible-i will this winter!

i think bob at horizon divers is a good hit for key largo
you'll have fun regardless!!!!!!!

have fun
yaeg

1. Best Charters to use?

5. Hotels suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Kicker, did we chat on the phone?

Heres my 2 cents worth:

1) I'll let an unbiased individual answer that one :)
2)Based on out tel con, Id say Spiegel, Duane, Vandenberg & Carysfort (nice ledge to 100')
3)Yes, but not on the same boat trip
4)76ish. will drop shortly
5)Key Largo Grande, Kona Kai, Azul. As you are flying in on a private plane, I doubt you will want to stay at the roach motel :)
6)Morada Bay, Islamorada fish company, Braza Lena, and for a more Keesey feel - Mrs Macs Kitchen, The Conch House

Have fun!

Hi Kicker, welcome to Key Largo.

There are more dive shops than gas stations in Key Largo, and many highly praised here on Scubaboard for running fun safe trips. I have dove with many and have friends at several (+1 Bob @ Horizon). This means there is something for everyone's diving needs from novice to tech. This sticky thread is a great directory of all the Keys has to offer.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/362149-florida-keys-guide.html

Key Largo is one of the most common Scubaboard thread topics including dive spots (such as the great ones listed above), conditions, temps, exposure protection recommendations, often praised dive ops (and a few that aren't), eateries, lodging, dive training, etc. And there are several ops that are members of the always helpful Scubaboard family. Chris and Avery have given you some great advise. :)

If you want the "Easy Button", Stay at the Marriott, step out the door of your hotel onto the boat with Pirate Island Divers, just call us for one stop reservations.

For smaller more personalized trips, contact Garden Cove Divers.

Have a great stay and dive safe!

Having looked through these threads for info on diving Key West, mostly I've found lists of dive shops and locations.

My question is more subjective: How is the diving around Key West?

It's important to me because I am considering a job opportunity there.

My former instructor tells me the diving is really sucky -- that you have to dive the upper keys for anything decent.

Can anyone give me some encouraging words about Key West diving?

And as an aside, the Fort Zach website says they have great shore diving. Is that true?

The dive ops all sound pricey, which I guess should be expected for such a tourist Mecca.

Any inside local info would be helpful.

Thanks!

FR

Diving in KW is OK...better a few miles up the road off of Big Pine...reefs around KW are beat, no other way to describe it. Same boats, go to the same reefs, year after year and you get that :idk: I HAVE had some nice dives down there, but... there are better places. The Vandenberg is an awesome dive! I've been wanting to get on the Cayman Salvager and Joe's Tug, but most of the places don't like going there... I DID have a trip to those two set up this past October, but the weather didn't cooperate for me.... There's a "popular" dive op that's VERY expensive, and they seem to set the standard, but I've been diving with Captains Corner and Subtropic, and they're pretty fair and in line with the dive ops up and down the rest of the Keys.

Fort Zach? (they have a website?) All I can say is it's my wife's favorite beach to hang out at while I'm diving! Snorkeling there is decent at best. But diving? nothing to really see! If you wander around the coral boulder breakwater, you'll see fish. If you stay put (and no one is splashing around) you'll see MORE fish. I think on the outside of the boulder area it gets to be around 10-15 feet deep, and there's really nothing to see except sand. I've seen the odd school of fish swimming by out there, and a few times, a spotted Eagle Ray or Southern Stingray, but that's about it. I was considering taking one of my cylinders down there, but figured, why waste it, since it's pretty shallow, and the only life is around the boulders.

Hope this info helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom