Pack your insect repellent! Dengue fever in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are traveling to Curacao, the way to stay safe is to remain under water for as much time as possible. I have not seen a mosquito at 60 feet, so far.

I like this advice the best Korsu! We see the hematologist again this week, and I'm going to ask about an infectious disease doctor. BTW, this was our 6th trip to Curacao (all previous were without incident). It's true...all it takes is one bite. Guess in 30+ years of diving in the Caribbean, I've been lucky and have dodged a bullet thus far, but you can bet the DEET's going in the suitcase.

Thanks for the tip! Whoever is taking doxy please be aware that doxy is known to induce photosensitivity in some people so if you take it better cover up.

Oh, and I think Natrapel also is a repellent that won't damage synthetic fabrics.

Thanks for the tip! Whoever is taking doxy please be aware that doxy is known to induce photosensitivity in some people so if you take it better cover up.
Mentioned earlier here, but so many have me on Ignore - good reminder. Or maybe you have me on Iggy? :laughing:

Oh, and I think Natrapel also is a repellent that won't damage synthetic fabrics.
I'm still taking Doxy, finishing out the dose post-trip now for week two out of four.
Worse than the photosensitivity (just use gobs & gobs of sunscreen), is the stomach ache after taking the doxycycline pill --you've either gottta take it on an empty stomach for an hour before eating, or three to four hours after a meal. (A single cracker or cookie with the doxy pill helps a little to alleviate the stomach ache).

I've had dengue fever before (contracted in Papu New Guinea 2001, and treated by a Navy Corpsman in Koror Hospital, Palau), and you definitely don't need a doctor to tell you whether you have it or not: If it feels like having the flu with pain/fever/chills times 10-to-the-tenth power, then it's Dengue Fever!

The only treatment I had for it in the hospital was all day IV fluids, Tylenol (acetaminophen for the fever/pain), and letting the virus run its course with monitoring for more serious signs of Dengue Shock Syndrome & Hemorrhagic Fever. Spent the entire week of what was to be a Palau diving vacation back in 2001, in the Koror Hospital. Now I know what the term "eyeball headache" means, and why they also call Dengue, "Break Bone Fever" --along with the fever/chills, the joint & limb pain is so painfully debilitating:shakehead:!

I got a hit of Dengue Fever on Bonaire , march 2009 . I know why they call it breakbone fever , the only part of me that did not hurt were my ears and nose .
I had symptoms for a little over a month although the fever part only lasted around five days .
I only got four know bites the week I got it , be careful .
I have been enjoying the Pacific Northwest diving since , I really do not want another taste of Dengue .
Call me chicken but it is the only thing holding me back from my usual two a year tropical vacations ....

... Guess in 30+ years of diving in the Caribbean, I've been lucky and have dodged a bullet thus far, but you can bet the DEET's going in the suitcase.

We also take a No Pest strip for the room.

Good information here. I always thought that if you got Dengue fever once you got sick, twice you died.

Hello everybody,
Unfortunatly dengue is a every year returning item on Curacao. Like mentioned in earlier answers Malarone or Lariam does not work against or protect for Dengue. There are a lot of different ant-mosquito sprays for sale. " Off" works ok, there is also a local (non iritating, non stinging) Aloe spray, works also but is more expensive. If you caught dengue, avoid taking anything stronger than asperine (like Ibuprofen) because it makes things worse. I also agree with one of the psoters to avoid high concentrations of DEET. Although DEET is very good it does not go well with neopreen and rubber (it can " eat" your wrist- watch or computer band. During rain season it is hard to avoid " wet places". Dengue mosquitos are usually not so close to the sea (like on a beach) those are other insects. The Tiger mosquitos gather in urban areas with water and moist. I got dengue in december 2008, kept me in bed (and out of the water) for some 3 weeks. I got the type II, I spray, everyday since than.
Kind regards
Karel

Follow-up on the dive buddy/husband... hematologist was unable to identify the serotype and didn't believe an infectious disease doctor was necessary since he had made a full recovery. His advice... don't get bitten again. Of course, he also advised that we not go to areas where there are carriers, but that's not an option since much of where we dive is endemic and I have no intentions of diving the Arctic Circle. We're about to do the Belize Aggressor. With that being said, we bought spray with low levels of DEET, and long sleeved Columbia Omni-Freeze shirts that are supposed to keep you cool even in the heat. I don't believe mosquitoes will be a problem on a live-aboard when it's at sea, but he's taking no chances. He was told that if he contracted it again, it would be much worse. A note about the Ibuprofen - he was given high doses of Motrin and steroids while he was in the emergency room (before he was diagnosed), which as it turns out, are the worst treatments for dengue.

I got more good advice, information and education from Scubaboard than from any of the doctors who treated my husband.

Okay I'm going to shift a little bit and talk about repellents. I'm going to Bonaire next week and have been doing some research. Has anyone had any luck with picaridin? And what about permethrin? I heard 20% picaridin works just as good a DEET without the caustic side effects. And I plan to spray down my clothes with the permethrin. Any thoughts, ideas, etc.? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom