Metrodome collapse 2010 blizzard dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oneshotshooter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had a Sheriff's Department training dive scheduled with local fire departments and our safety and rescue. They canceled on Friday due to the weather reports. It had been about a month since we went diving so we decided to go...... 8 to 12 hours of work and preparation for 45 minutes of diving!

YouTube - Ice dive in Blizzard Conditions, Green Lake MN on Dec 11th 2010.wmv

The video isn't much, with all the snow that was piling up on the ice not much light could get through. We had located something with a side scan sonar on earlier training in the summer, we thought it was a boat but it turned out to be a fish crib.There are a couple of good pics of our setup and the weather conditions. Our first shelter collapsed much like the one at Metrodome, because of the wind not the snow load.

So when you guys think it's cold, remember it could be a lot worse I think it was 15-25 below zero with the windchill

I will always think of the dive adventure when I hear about the 2010 blizzard :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - We think it is cold if we can see our breath in the morning here in South East Texas. I don't even like frozen margaritas and can't imagine that I would dive in those conditions - but then again, if it got that cold here, you guys would be frozen solid. I appreciate your commitment!

Mark Phillips
Editor / Publisher
PSDiver Monthly
PSDiver.com

Its really not that bad. Just takes more time and prep. we will be diving again on sat. Hope to find some booty!

Its really not that bad. Just takes more time and prep. we will be diving again on sat. Hope to find some booty!

The summer is when you see "Booty" :mooner::rofl3:

For you guys that have never tried it we have to watch over heating more so than getting cold.

The summer is when you see "Booty" :mooner::rofl3:

For you guys that have never tried it we have to watch over heating more so than getting cold.

I already found that treasure :eyebrow:

Here is a pic of the time we didn't have the chainsaw with the 36" bar. We had to do a "stage" cut.

(Sorry, no PFD, photo op :gas:) :D

Attachments

• why.jpg
    why.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 131
set up was alot easier without the blizzard! Managed to find some "booty" :D

We have an anchor competition going on to inspire more ice diving :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks for the video and the pictures. It's a good reminder of why I moved away from the Minneapolis area. Even seeing the snow in pictures now makes me shiver.

Thanks for the video and the pictures. It's a good reminder of why I moved away from the Minneapolis area. Even seeing the snow in pictures now makes me shiver.

Your welcome. I dream of warm blue water diving..........hope to get away sometime in Jan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom