New Diver Looking for best BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During my training i was exposed to a lot of different BC's, and now i am looking at getting one myself by the start of the 2011 dive season. I have used both Sherwood and Oceanic. I am looking the Sherwood Avid and the Oceanic Probe LX. Both have integrated weight systems. I was wondering if i could get advise from someone who is more experienced at this than i am.

I'm one who is more experienced with vest BC's and I prefer SeaQuest. Unfortunately Aqua Lung bought them and I don't like the new stuff nearly as much as the old stuff.

i have only used jacket style BC's and i like them. within the jacket BC's though i was able to use one that were from different manufacturers like Oceanic Sherwood Genesis and some others that i dont remember. but i like them all that i used. i would like to know what the real difference is in between all the different type like how each performs. i only plan on doing lake quarry and some ocean and maybe cave diving in FL if i make it down there.

Before you pony up on a new BC of any kind, try MANY out. Renting might be a way to try some different styles and models but perhaps other SB members in your area could show you a wider variety; just really try to try a few of each style. There are only a handful of divers here on SB who went "back" to vest after "changing" to BP/W, and maybe a few more than that that went "back" to vest after "changing" to back inflate, but nearly all of them are divers who started out in vest BC's just like you, and a couple of them dive similar locations/temps to you.

i think that i am going to go with a back inflate. im going to buy a used jacket BC just to have as a backup and to use right now so i can save up more money to buy a back inflate. I was looking at the Zeagle Scout has anyone heard of it or has used it?

Not telling anyone what to buy, just pointing out that for some of us buying used is da'kine! The last couple years I've used a SeaQuest Balance for boat/guiding, but "kind of" only because I "found" a BLUE one at Lahaina Salvation Army for $20! I'm not sure the new style would be so easy to cut off the Integrated Weights; I prefer belts.

I make about as many dives per month in this back inflate BC as I do in my BLUE vest BC. The Balance is one of the most recommended back inflates. I have no complaints.

Lahaina Salvation Army again, just this last Saturday after working on the boat; $10 for everything Scooby's checkin' out below. The 5 snorkel keepers are worth $10!

Apeks ATX50 second with hose (good hose, end of adj knob missing?), 2 SeaQuest In/deflator (old style & new style buttons), SeaQuest Spectrum 2 ADV (size M, solid BC, so faded it's actually hard to tell it's faded - tan/khaki!) and a hardly used old school size maybe 2/4 Body Glove 6.5 mm "Density" wet suit (biggest problem - girls that fit it are not strong enough to get in it).

The hose and deflators would have cost me more that $20 each at my employee rate! Slapped one of the inflators on the BC and it stayed inflated for a couple days! I've got a package of royal blue dye with this BC's name on it! :eyebrow:

That BC is the model that I currently use for OW class, for students and myself; pretty much the only model BC I'm lookin' to buy! Now I have 5 solids; L, M/L, 2M & an XS - around $400 total, only the 1st one bought new. I did NSS-CDS Cavern and Intro to Cave in the brown one when I was in Florida. :D

i have only used jacket style BC's and i like them. within the jacket BC's though i was able to use one that were from different manufacturers like Oceanic Sherwood Genesis and some others that i dont remember. but i like them all that i used. i would like to know what the real difference is in between all the different type like how each performs. i only plan on doing lake quarry and some ocean and maybe cave diving in FL if i make it down there.

You mentioned cave diving. As a new diver, you may not know what this activity entails. Cave diving is technical diving and requires different equipment choices including multiple tanks... quite a bit different than the single tank open water diving that you have experienced thus far. Typically cave divers will use back mounted doubles or sidemount.

I don't want to jump on the bp/w bandwagon with every new diver who asks about a new BC, but if cave diving is really something you are interested in, you might want to consider this route now instead of buying an entirely new bc in the future.

You mentioned cave diving. As a new diver, you may not know what this activity entails. Cave diving is technical diving and requires different equipment choices including multiple tanks... quite a bit different than the single tank open water diving that you have experienced thus far. Typically cave divers will use back mounted doubles or sidemount.

I don't want to jump on the bp/w bandwagon with every new diver who asks about a new BC, but if cave diving is really something you are interested in, you might want to consider this route now instead of buying an entirely new bc in the future.

halemanō;5630483:
That BC is the model that I currently use for OW class, for students and myself; pretty much the only model BC I'm lookin' to buy! Now I have 5 solids; L, M/L, 2M & an XS - around $400 total, only the 1st one bought new. I did NSS-CDS Cavern and Intro to Cave in the brown one when I was in Florida. It was black back then :D

I guess things may have changed in the 10 years since I did my Florida cave training, but I was able to stay with vest BC until I knew vest BC was all I needed. :idk:

Last edited:
Cave diving is something that i would like to do at some point in my diving but right now since im in college im limited to the amount of travel that i can do. i see myself in the next couple years as doing more lake, quarry and if the opportunity come to me some possible ocean and river dives once i get the training. This next year i plan on getting my AOW. But the more i look into the back inflate BC's i like what i am reading about them about the more mobility that you have in them under the water. I plan on purchasing a BC at the beginning of summer. i also like the jacket BC as well. i have also thought is it a good decision to have both a jacket and back inflate BC?

There's reasons someone might want multiple BCs, perhaps one for warm water travel and one for local cold water, but it's not generally necessary. And they could wind up being different styles, but there's a good chance you'd want them the same style just because many people develop a strong preference for one or the other and get used to the way it feels. I can't think of much for specific reasons to go out of your way to have both a jacket and a back inflate just based on that alone. Lots of better reasons and ways to buy more gear. :wink:

Im going to go tryout some back inflate BC's whenever i come back to school and im going to make my decision from there. However i found a jacket BC that i have dove with before in good condition and at a good price so im going to get it. but when i tryout the back inflates and if i decide to go with them then i have it as a "back-up" or if i know someone who needs one to have or barrow i have it to give to them as well. by doing this i dont see much going wrong with the decision because it is a win-win situation for me as i see it. i buy it and find out i like the back inflate well then i have something to sell or keep just in case something would ever happen to my main BC.

I myself use a Buddy Commando by A.P valves, my present one is 4 years old and done about 800 dives, apart from slightly faded it is as new, great lift and you know you have it on. Lifetime guarantee if you have owned from new, mine had to go back last year as had punture in bladder, came back fully serviced as well, and couple new clips too, cost... £000. At the mo I couldn't see me using anything else, tried various different ones out out shop but nothing comes close.

Back
Top Bottom