Hose length for bungee octo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a good application for the Miflex LP hose, less tugging on your reg when you turn your head to the left.

Haha I actually know those guys. Were you talking about aquaregia?
I took sci dive with him. I was actually thinking about asking him if I could borrow his reg the next time I TA for the basic OW @ UCSC xD

Yup, you got it.

Aquaregia & Deadbilly

Bet they would be happy to show you their equipment, and maybe you could talk them into trying a backplate & wing, But I warn you - It might be hard to go back to diving your BCD once you try all our streamline equipment :wink:!

The type of first stage you have and how the hose routes will drive the lenght of hose. You want to the second stage to sit 3 or 4 inches below your chin when not in use. And when in use you want to be able to look to the left without the hose tugging on the second stage but without a lot of extra length beyond that. So 20-24 inches is a likely range for most people but you just have to try it. Having a LDS where you can try it out, or a friend with a setup you can test is a plus.

Yup, you got it.

Aquaregia & Deadbilly

Bet they would be happy to show you their equipment, and maybe you could talk them into trying a backplate & wing, But I warn you - It might be hard to go back to diving your BCD once you try all our streamline equipment :wink:!

If I had the money I'd definitely get one. Or a crotch strap at least.
I got to try on my friends halcyon when we had to do a gear exchange underwater.
Fell in love with it's comfort instantly.
But sadly my BC isn't compatible with crotch straps. =[

With the hose length for a singles set up. Should the hose bow out near the edge of your shoulder at all?

As others have said, point is access to the back-up, it should be long enough so you don't have any tension when you turn your head to the right and left with the reg in your mouth and short enough so that there isn't much bow in the hose. Frank at Anywater Sports in San Jose will be able to hook you up: Any Water Sports - The Bay Area's Premier Dive and Swim Center He works on much of our equipment.

Then your primary should be on a longer hose (42in or so) to allow for maneuverability and control?

It can be a std length or as long as 9ft depending on your pref. or requirements for a dive.

We dive 5-7 ft primary hoses with 7 ft preferred.

If I had the money I'd already have a BP/W. Or a crotch strap at least. I got to try on my friends halcyon when we had to do a gear exchange underwater. Fell in love with it's comfort instantly. But sadly my BC isn't compatible with crotch straps. =[

:rofl3: That's what I said, then I sold my BCD and started scraping pennies - BP/W's can be purchased second hand if you keep your eyes open here and on thedecostop.com.

My one problem is that it's a lot of tension on my mouth because of the hose, and when I'm not using it it drags below me.

This is your primary hose? How long a hose are you using, and how are you routing it?

If you are using a 5' or 7' hose, it should come across the front of your chest, around the back of your neck, and into your mouth from the right side. Then there is no tension from the hose, and nothing drags below you. If you are using a 40" hose, you route it under your arm, and may need a right-angle adapter to allow the reg to sit comfortably, but you still shouldn't have any drag on the hose, nor should it hang below you.

Best length depends on you, your rig, and port placement on your first stages. A 22" works fine for me on a single tank, but move the primary a little on my doubles and I need a 24"

This is your primary hose? How long a hose are you using, and how are you routing it?

If you are using a 5' or 7' hose, it should come across the front of your chest, around the back of your neck, and into your mouth from the right side. Then there is no tension from the hose, and nothing drags below you. If you are using a 40" hose, you route it under your arm, and may need a right-angle adapter to allow the reg to sit comfortably, but you still shouldn't have any drag on the hose, nor should it hang below you.

No it's my Air 2 that drags. When I use my Air 2 I feel lot of tension trying to push it out of my mouth to the right. It's the BC hose that does this =[
My primary bows out quite a bit. You can see my whole set up via my profile picture.
I plan on getting a 90 angle adapter to solve my primary hose issue. =]

:rofl3: That's what I said, then I sold my BCD and started scraping pennies - BP/W's can be purchased second hand if you keep your eyes open here and on thedecostop.com.

Now that I think about it -- Aquaregia did a pretty good job of piecing the equipment together on a student budget - probably a good conversation to have with him if you are intrigued :).

Now that I think about it -- Aquaregia did a pretty good job of piecing the equipment together on a student budget - probably a good conversation to have with him if you are intrigued :).

For sure. He has enough gear to equip 3 divers now :rofl3:
I'll need to take notes from him.

Back
Top Bottom