Need your response: shouldn't this subforum be more apparent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave C

Contributor
Reaction score
I knew this subforum existed somewhere on ScubaBoard, but today I had a very hard time locating it. Finally, I had to do a search to find that it was cryptically located underneath "Marine Life and Ecosystems". I think a marine ID subforum is important enough that it should be listed in plain sight on the main Scubaboard forum page, not hidden inside another subforum. If it was more apparent on the main board, I think a lot more people might use it, and this would also encourage more people to respond to posts asking for help identifying things. Do others agree? If so, maybe I should send a request to the ScubaBoard moderators.

The current location makes perfect sense to me, and I don't think it's something broad enough for a top level spot.

And I don't think the location matters much in getting a question answered, as I think many if not most people hit "New Posts" rather than trying to look for new stuff forum by forum. They look at threads that interest them and half the time when they reply they didn't even notice what subforum the thread was in.

I think the real reason to get things into the right subforum is not (with a few exceptions like medical or local stuff) because it makes it easier or more likely for someone to answer a question - but because it makes it easier for someone to search later when looking for specific information.

I completely agree that it should be higher up in the forum tree. I guess am not one of the "most" that Damselfish referred to. I don't use the New Posts button, but rather enjoy this section more than others and if I don't have a bookmark here, I have the darnedest time finding it. I think it should be up a level and equal to Marine Life and Ecosystems, not hidden within it. That way it would show up on the main forum page, and as Dave said, I also believe more people would find it. Just wanted to speak up as one of Damselfish's minority.

For those of you who would like to keep tabs on the activity of this subforum within the SB framework, consider subscribing to the forum so that you can receive email notifications of new activity. There are different ways to do this, but since you're right here reading now, the simplest is to go up a level into Name That Critter (there's a clickable link near the top of the window) and then use the dropdown menu called Forum Tools to mark your subscription. Make sure you indicate your notification preferences.

If you don't like receiving SB notifications via email, you could also just bookmark the subforum in your browser (that's what I do for my "home" subforum, Thailand) so that every time you open SB, it opens directly to that subforum. If you have several forums you like to visit each time you come into SB, you can make a bookmark folder containing different SB bookmarks.

You can subscribe with no email notifications as well- I do that and just bookmark my "UserCP"- that way I have all of the forums I'm interested in show up on a single page so I can scan down the page to see if there are new posts.

These comments are based on one knowing this forum exists. I believe what Dave was saying is that if it were more prominent more people would know of it's existence and therefore might subscribe to it.

Thanks for the suggestion! We have moved this forum up one level. We sincerely hope that this helps.

good move! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom