Dive Shop in Maui - B&B Scuba - recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can also highly recommend B&B. Nice boat, great team. I like their early departures so I get back in time to do other things with my day. Maui Diamond II is also a nice boat with a good crew, my dislike is the amount of time spent getting to/from the dive sites. Since they depart from Maalaea harbor it is a LONG boat ride, in particular in the afternoon for the long slog through the wind chop to get home, then it's not only long, it can be pretty wet and choppy.

particular in the afternoon for the long slog through the wind chop to get home, then it's not only long, it can be pretty wet and choppy.

Well, when you chose to do an afternoon trip, or even a "second trip," the list of operators to chose from is pretty short. :idk:

There is perhaps some pretty good diving West out of Ma'alaea that South Maui boats "almost" never go to. In Feb the longer boat ride is a longer "whale watch."

"Whale Watch" is the strongest argument for going to Molokini from Lahaina, along with usually both dives at Molokini (if you like that).

As I said, there are good things about pretty much every excursion off Maui, at least when it's Humpback soup!.

halemanō;5635816:
Did someone recommend going to Molokini from Lahaina :confused:

Not yet but it seems that somewhere along the way a visitor who's staying up there will say they enjoy the long boat ride :)

Just my 2 cents Hal.

We've done Molokini with Lahaina Divers and did enjoy the trip...the first couple of times. :wink: Honestly, if you've never been to Maui (or Hawaii), it is a nice way to see the island, and during whale season, it's a great way to whale watch. Other than that, I recommend it's worth driving from Lahaina to the Kihei boat ramp in the morning instead. You'll also likely get more bottom time with a Kihei operator than with Lahaina Divers, who uses Al72 tanks.

HI Tim and Al!!

If you are going to be there in Feb., and dive with B & B, you will see us, too! They are about the only boat we dive with on Maui, except for a Lanai trip with EH, and then a night dive with someone else...! Can't wait to get away from this snow!!! :) Maggi

wow, the choices...maybe we will have to do more than the 10 dives we were planning.

I am struggling with one thing.....my husband has his AOW.....I would like mine too....when I spoke to Maui Dreams....they have more of a "class" type thing and I would not be diving with my husband at all....I have seen other operators that bring you down, do you skills and then you dive with the group.....Because we get one dive trip a year to do together, I am thinking about not doing it.....I want to dive with my husband, as a lot of the fun is sharing the dive with him. Might make sense to get that cert someday when we do a live aboard with a small group....which may be in ten years....:)

It sounds like people have good things to say about B&B... I appreciate the input...a lot of good ideas and opinions that are making me think....now I have some decisions to make.

From all of your comments, I am learning that the shore diving is much more common on Maui than what we saw on the big island....so that is cool...

You mentioned the Manta Dive with Jacks on the Big Island.....that is the most amazing dive we have done...If I can figure out how to load pictures on this board, I will load the best underwater photo I have taken from that dive....Jack's is amazing and the dive was incredible!

halemanō;5635903:
Well, when you chose to do an afternoon trip, or even a "second trip," the list of operators to chose from is pretty short. :idk:

Who said anything about an afternoon trip? :shakehead:
The fact is that the MD II is so slow that since it's first dive is usually at Molokini the ride back uphill has been a drag in my experience.

halemanō;5635258:
" to the legit shop that won't let you pee in you own wet suit"
while personally, I have been known to remove my gear on the bottom to releave myself...i am wondering how does one stop someone from peeing in their own wetsuit.

I did two dives with Shaka Doug a few years back and had a great time. I also went out with Lahaina Divers to the cathedrals. It was ok, they had a nice dive brief and everyone was nice. Since I brought a computer they did not worry about me as much as the others. So I got some extra bottom time that the other divers didn't get. Or they could have just been low on air??? I think they used 72's instead of 80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom