divemaster/instructor internships??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey guys,

new member here!! just wanted to ask if anyone had any advise on divemaster/ instructor internships??

I am currently looking for a internship for upto 6 months. im looking for a place with a great rep and not just interested in taking my money and throwing me in the production line if you know what i mean.

if any of you guys in the industry could advise me it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Try the GO PRO forum or do a basic search of past threads. However, you won't find many here that are supportive of zero to hero programs, which are generally 'production lines' that spend little to no time on improving diving skills or developing good judgement in the water.

Nobody wants to take a course from somebody who has little to no experience in the water or has been diving for only a few months.

Good start - an internship is much better than a "Zero-to-Hero" arrangement.

But don't get fixated on the time line. Worry about the skills and experience (see my signature line) and how to best acquire both.

Best advice I can offer early on? Find a GOOD instructor or two (DMs too here), and begin to learn what you can from them. This includes formally and informally.

As you mature as a diver, you'll begin to notice more subtle aspects of what they do as divers and as diving professionals.

You're going to see all kinds while you're growing. Learn from them too. Phrases like "I like the way he/she did that." and "Yikes! I'll never do that!" should begin to filter into the thought process.

These are some of the things that you can't compress into a series of instructional modules.

And one last bit of advice - enjoy the ride there. The travel there is often better than the destination, if only you slow down to look around.

Thanks for your advice, im not a complete dive novice i have been rec diving for about 3 years and have 40 dives logged so far. im not looking for a zero to hero course at all, i'm just looking to take the next step on the ladder and gain as much for an internship or work placement as i can.

Hey there

Go for it, there is nothing to stop you. If you have found someone you believe to be decent and it is what you want to do then crack on. I would advise you spend time as a DM instead of jumping straight through to instructor, they are very different roles and it is good to have an understanding of both i.e. a part of being a good instructor is knowing what to expect of your DM and that only comes from having done it. As a DM in the UK 90% of the time you would be supporting instructors whereas elsewhere you would find a DM spending most of their time guiding dives (as well as washing cars, carrying heavy things etc etc) I think it is very valuable to use this time to become a good DM accomplished in the role and to have learnt from other instructors and DM's around you be it good bad or ugly.

I actually did my DM in the UK and from the start of the course to completion took about 6 months. Now having seen people along the way that "got it out of the way" in 3 weeks I am really glad that I took the time to do it and having advanced past OW instructor level I still see the benefit of things that I learnt as a DM. Each role you take on in each location with each centre will have an abundance of new things to learn and it id one of those vocations where the learning never stops it just continues to get developed so if you move in to a role and you are still trying to play catch up from the last one, arguably you will not be as effective as you should be.

My advice I guess is with your background so far get on the DM course ASAP and then relax, no deadlines or panics just take your time absorbing it all and learning what you can before making the decision on the next bit

Since this thread is located in "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" it gives the impression that you are, indeed, an inexperienced diver and therefore by default looking for a fast track to instructor.

So... what is your current level of training?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom