Dive Boat/RIB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overwidth permits from your state DOT (and any states you travel through on the way to the water) for trailering on the road. Since you're in CO I assumed you weren't leaving this RIB in a marina full time.

BTW, my RIB is only 16ft but people prefer to dive off mine vs. one of my buddies 18ft RIB because his interior layout is less optimal for diving and his tubes are larger to swim back over to get back aboard.

What's "affordable"? How many divers are you wanting to carry, how far and in what waters? What else is the boat being used for? Why so much power wanted on a 20ft boat? That's like bass boat power for the length - for 65+mph stuff but worse than worthless in rough water...

You are unlikely to find any RIB manufacturer making "Dive boats". Most stock RIBs have horrible layouts and you are better off getting a bare hull (with tubes) and having the interior custom fabricated to your needs.

No boat serves all needs anyway.
As I stated earlier, my situation and varibles are a little up in the air. IF, things work out, I'm hoping to be moving to FLA in a year or so. Would more than likely wait until after the move to obtain the boat.
The "affordable" part comes from seeing some prices.:fear: At the most, I would say a total compliment of people on board would be 6. Four with dive gear... The size of the motor would be a toss up. Would like to have max power available if needed. Assistance with S&R would also be a posibility.
I feel with my background and creativity, the "dive boat" issues would be fairly easy to overcome. (within regulations) The bare hull idea sounds good.
Thanks again for the input

I wouldn't get a big RIB in FL. A tender you can cover or store out of the sun sure. The sun is just way too hard on even Hypalon tubes. Many of the major fish boat brands have nice big cockpits which can be rigged for diving.

Grady White and Parker are 2 brands which do very well offshore but of course in the ~24ft size range which is the minimum you'll need to 6 divers you'll pay $$$. Certainly there are other very divable brands. Nemrod is in FL and can offer much more local wisdom.

I wouldn't get a big RIB in FL. A tender you can cover or store out of the sun sure. The sun is just way too hard on even Hypalon tubes. Many of the major fish boat brands have nice big cockpits which can be rigged for diving.

Grady White and Parker are 2 brands which do very well offshore but of course in the ~24ft size range which is the minimum you'll need to 6 divers you'll pay $$$. Certainly there are other very divable brands. Nemrod is in FL and can offer much more local wisdom.
Thank you Sir :)

Last edited:
FWIW my Dad has a 22' Twin Vee in the BVI. The family uses it to dive off of. It can handle a nice chop and at the same time you can take it right up to the beach. It's not a RIB but works perfect for the area it is in and diving off of it is perfect.

Look at the Patten Inflatables... technically not a RIB, they are a hard floor, no keel bottom boat...

The pair we have seat 6 divers and one tank worth of gear fairly comfortable... They are just shy of 20' and about 6' wide... We have 70 hp motors on ours and that is perfect for them... They will run 20-25 knots loaded or unloaded with these motors and the correct size prop... Getting in and out of them is easier than any other inflatable on the market, hands down - the floor opens up and its only about 4" out of the water... to trailer them, we simply put them on a flat trailer and strap them down - a heavy duty jet ski trailer is all that is needed, we modify one by pulling off all the jet ski stuff and adding a flat platform - we have a boat ramp that is rarely ever used by anyone other than us, but just the other day, we pulled one out of the water at a heavily used boat ramp and all the local fishermen saw two girls putting it on the trailer, started walking over to help and by the time they got there, the boat was already on and strapped down...

the great thing is that we are able to put ours flat on the beach without fear of damaging it... tilt the prop up and all is good to go... I have had them out in 14' seas, which takes a little skill, and wouldn't be ideal fully loaded, but with myself and a co worker, we actually had a lot of fun that day...

Diagrams

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom