Rainbow River & Crystal River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello RDRINK,

I agree with Krawlings. Not likely you are going to run out of air with the volume you are planning to take and the shallow depth of the river. And if you did run out of air, you would likely be very waterlogged, and tired of being underwater at that point.

I think if I ran out of air and was on the surfaced drifting, I would take off my BC to make myself more comfortable. Could even use my floating BC to prop my feet up on, while I lay on my back and drift.

Many years ago, I drifted down the Santa Fe (Florida river) in a canoe. It was stunningly beautiful.

if you do run out of air time it is a real nice drift on the surface

I am retired now, but have run this trip a lot. Be aware , that the Water Taxi in the pix is just a shuttle to the drop off point up river. He leaves after you are in the water. You have to use a boat to get there. There is not a dive shop close by to get gear or even air refills. You can arrange all that with dive shops in Crystal River. Some of these dive shops will drop you off upstream, & leave, just like the Water Taxi. If all of the group members are experience, that is one thing. BUU,,, If you have any type of emergency, diver gets sick, cold, exhausted, gear problems, etc., etc, , you are on your own ! You will need to exit the river & start knocking on the doors of houses to seek help. Many of the riverside residents don't like Scuba divers & may not help.
I suggest to go with a charter that stays with you. He can help answer your questions about the river, help if there are any problems, may provide first aid , will have a phone to call EMS, if needed, etc, etc. I always ran trips like this & while it will cost more,,, I think it is cheap insurance. That is my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom