NC around Xmas & New Years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The wife wants to get away during the Christmas holidays. We're here in New Jersey. She was thinking North Carolina. I was thinking WATER! What's the weather like that time of year for wreck diving? Are boats running? But here's the catch...... The wife is a non-diver so we're looking for a place where I can dive and and still find places where the two of us can go and have fun. We want to go for a week or two.

Any help or ideas are welcome. We'll be driving.
Thanks again.
Steve

Wilmington would be your best bet to catch nice weather and a dive boat. Plenty for the wife to do in the Port City.
Aquatic Safari's and Cape fear Divers are the two main dive ops.
The weather is a total crapshoot it could be 75 or 35...so figure the average between those Temps. The good news it rarely snows.

One more thing Steve, those two op's I gave you are bigger boats, You might have a better chance to catch 6 pack( Olympic, Discovery) out of Moorhead City 70 miles north of Wilmington. Talked to a couple friends today and it's possible if the weather is nice after Christmas we would drive down to the coast to dive...if so I'll let you know.

Try Breaufort, NC. Quaint little town fun for the wife (my wife is non-diver and loves it) and Discovery or Tortuga could get you out on their sixpack. I've been told that Leroy will pretty much get out on the dive site just about any time it is up to you if you will jump in or not :wink:

Unless you're bringing enough divers to charter your own boat (4-6), keep driving south.

Between the sporty weather, the lack of divers, and whatever else conspires against you, you'll be hard pressed as a lone diver to even get on a dive boat. People do dive all year long, but finding a single charter spot around that time is tough tough tough. I'd drive to Florida.

If you decide to come to NC anyway, the 6-pack at Discovery Diving in Beaufort traditionally tries to run a Jan 1 charter. You might be able to snag a spot.

Actually, for the last couple of years, Wilmington was VERY nice in January. Water temps were 65-70 but the air was in the 40s or lower. Both times we went, flat seas, easy ride. Wilmington is a GREAT city with plenty to do. Here's a video by some guy who went with Aquatic Safaris a few years back in January (sorry for the poor quality, it was his first video):

Let me know what you find. I may have a couple divers that would be interested in driving down and diving.

There are a couple charters next weekend which I'm signed onto, FYI. One out of Discovery in Beaufort on Sat Dec 18 - we only need one more to run. And I'm also on a charter out of Wilmington on Dec 19 to The Gill via Aquatic. I think there are only 2 of us so far on that one but don't know the latest. Also, if anybody is closer to Morehead/Beaufort and interested in getting together a charter out of Olympus or Discovery on that Sunday, I wouldn't mind not having to drive down to Wilmington that morning.

I am coming in from Ohio, so I'm really looking forward to a balmy 54 degrees.

Wilmington would be your best bet to catch nice weather and a dive boat. Plenty for the wife to do in the Port City.
Aquatic Safari's and Cape fear Divers are the two main dive ops.
The weather is a total crapshoot it could be 75 or 35...so figure the average between those Temps. The good news it rarely snows.

True, except for this year

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom