Good dive shop in Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Key Largo area for an SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I may get to go on one dive boat my second to last day in Florida, and I need to buy an SMB, mirror, and whistle. Anyone know any good dive shops that carry good feature rich SMBs that won't rape me on price as well?

And would you do Key Largo or Vanderberg?

Silent World owner and staff runs a great dive operation. Stayed at the Pelican Inn, rustice, with kitchenettes. Short drive to dive docks.

The Speigel Grove is a two tank dive for sure. :wink:

Brownies will have all the Halcyon stuff but it you probably won't get a kiss afterward.

Ft Lauderdale Area - Dixie Divers or DiveGearExpress

I'd say the majority of dive shops in S FL will have what you're looking for.

I may get to go on one dive boat my second to last day in Florida, and I need to buy an SMB, mirror, and whistle. Anyone know any good dive shops that carry good feature rich SMBs that won't rape me on price as well?

And would you do Key Largo or Vanderberg?

What Ron said:D Silent world is a great shop, with a knowledgeable owner who is very patient and talented.

The prices will be similar no matter where you shop. I wouldn't spend $5 in gas to save $2.

I love diving Key Largo, some great wrecks and reefs there. I dove the Vandy this summer and it totally rocked, but remember, it's another 2-1/2 to 3 hour drive to get there and back from Key Largo.

No matter what you choose, enjoy your trip!!!

Although it's a bit more expensive, I'd highly recommend the Halcyon SMB, especially considering where you dive at home. I've found the wide flange on the inflator makes it FAR easier to seal my lips around it when I'm cold. The small inflators, and worst of all, the ones you have to push on with your teeth to open the valve, are really quite difficult with numb lips. I've owned six different makes of SMB, and to my annoyance, the Halcyon ones have proven the best. (And I am not an all-Halcyon, all the time person -- far from it.)

Go large!
I use the DAN version which is surely made by someone else.
It works well down here in the land of mostly perpetual sunshine and mostly warm weather.
Chug
Does not like little smb's.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom