Views on playing with or harrasing marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonyc:
Well how about teaching your new students to cut up urchins and feed them to the girabaldi as part of your basic underwater class? Shouldn't diving be somewhat ecofriendly? How is this teaching them to respect the environment? Some people don't deserve to dive. Do they not think this has ramifications on the ocean? I'm appalled by them. I wonder what SSI feels about this since they are their certifying agency?

Tony.
Don't deserve to dive? Because people feed urchins to Garibaldi? The diesel slopping off your dive boat probably has a larger environmental impact...

gj62:
Don't deserve to dive? Because people feed urchins to Garibaldi? The diesel slopping off your dive boat probably has a larger environmental impact...

But the problem I have with it is that this is still killing something for the entertainment value it provides. While I'm not a vegetarian, neither do I attend cockfights.

I hope they didn't throw that poor dog overboard to see if he could swim back to the mainland.

kelpmermaid:
But the problem I have with it is that this is still killing something for the entertainment value it provides. While I'm not a vegetarian, neither do I attend cockfights.

I hope they didn't throw that poor dog overboard to see if he could swim back to the mainland.
In the Keys, there are numerous places where you can feed baitfish to tarpon. Don't think the baitfish like it...

C'mon - we're not killing for entertainment (nobody I know gets excited cutting open an urchin - well, one of my Japanese buddies does, cuz then he eats it), the urchin is opened to *feed* the garibaldis. The garibaldis are the entertainment, and the urchin gets consumed (not like cockfights).

Sea otters eat urchins - if I pry an urchin off to offer to an otter (the otters love it, let me tell ya), is that the same???

Trumpet shells also eat urchins - if I move a trumpet shell to allow it to begin eating an urchin, am I killing for entertainment value?

If an instructor "opens" the urchin to feed the garibaldis to show off to students, yes, he or she is killing it for entertainment. Why not just leave the animals alone to feed themselves, and observe their natural behavior? It is just as much fun to watch the garibaldi guard his nest.

No, it is much more fun to watch the garabaldi tear into the urchins.

It looks like this jackass pulled the video from his site...is the pressure getting to you Rusty? If anyone is interested in a copy drop me a PM. We can work something out.
Christopher

I didn't see the video, they have taken it down, so if any one has a copy and wants to post it let me know.

But from reading the posts going back and forth on the urchins, I can tell some of your arses must be all puckered up from too much salt water. It's great your are worrying about the environment, but when I see you driving your hybrid car to the beach, taking a row boat over to Catalina, taking a shower to wash out all your gel before getting in the water, and diving without peeing in your wetsuit then I will start to worry about the feeding urchins to the garibaldi.

LowTide, if you're going to apply logic and reason to these discussions, you'll take all the fun out of it... :lol3:

What I want to do is swim up behind the guy messing with them and grab him by his fins or maybe grab the camramans arms and pull them back. :eyebrow:
See if he enjoys it.
Fred

Back
Top Bottom