Sony Group Needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slowhands

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sony has been making underwater housings for some of their P&S cams for years. I've seen many in use in my diving, and the pics were quite good. The Sony DSLRs are also very good, and Ikelite is making housings for several.

But with the recent introduction of the NEX cameras and a compact housings for it from Nauticam and Aquatica, the game has changed. Why? The NEX cameras use a much larger sensor than any P&S camera (9X larger), and focus much faster. All this in a much smaller package than typical UW DSLRs.

In addition to Sony NEX lenses, the Nauticam housing will accept Nikonos lenses with a custom adapter. The Nauticam info is here:
Sony NEX-5 Nauticam USA
Phil Rudin reviewed the Nauticam NEX housing here (you have to subscribe, review starts on Page 21):
http://www.uwpmag.com/subscribe/download_issue.php?issue=57

I suspect we will be discussing all the this new NEX / Nauticam system a lot in the near future, and the Aquatica housing gives this critical mass. Because of this, I propose a new group for Sony Shooters. What do you all think? If there is serious interest, I will set up a Poll.

I would like to see a sony group as well. I currently shoot sony on land. I only have 50 dives but when I get more experience I will probably get a housing for my sony. I'm sure i will need a lot of advice when the time comes.
Scuba Bear

true there should be a sony forum group too .Iv been using my p&s camera under water but still battle to get that perfect shot.

A Sony group would indeed be useful. I currently own the Sony NEX-5 with both 'kit' lenses as well as the fisheye adaptor. The NEX-5 is a pretty impressive bit of kit and while the menu system always seems to take that one too many clicks, it doesn't really bother me all that much.

I'm looking to get the Nauticam housing in the near future as I've heard good things about this setup and I think a centralized Sony group would be great!

Hmmm... Three replies in a couple days, some from Sony P&S users, some NEX. I think the experts like Phil Rudin already know all the answers and did not post. For the rest of us, my hunch is a Sony Group would be well read. I will post a poll, if I can figure out how!

I will post a poll, if I can figure out how!
You'll need to create a new thread. Poll options are near the bottom of the Additional Options box. It's not exactly intuitive but once you submit the new thread, before it gets posted you'll be given the option to enter the poll options.

btw, you'll need at least a dozen members to support this idea before it will be considered by SB staff.

From the FAQ:

So you want a new forum?

You need to think about the following:

* Is the subject suitable for ScubaBoard?
* Is it necessary, isn't this subject already covered by another forum?
* Is it to be a private forum? If so, for which group? Any specific access restrictions (ie read-only etc.)?

Got that covered?

Good, next thing you need to do is to start a thread in Suggestions (part of Site Support).

Also, you'll need at least a dozen members who'll back your proposal.

Finally, the ScubaBoard Staff will consider your proposal and create the forum if approved.

Please note that any forum may also be removed due to inactivity.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 48
Just to add to what I posted earlier, I have now purchased the Nauticam NA-NEX5 housing for the NEX-5 and I have to say the housing is fantastic! Very well made. It's also rather small, about half the size of normal DSLR housings! I'm planning to use just the fisheye + Nauticam dome port. Hopefully Nauticam will release a port for the Sony alpha 50mm macro.

Very excited and hoping to go on a dive with it soon. Hopefully will get some decent pictures in Malapascua next month. :D

Here is a side by side comparison of my old Subal 5D rig vs the Nauticam/NEX-5 setup.

The size and weight difference is almost comical.

Attachments

• SUBAL VS NAUTICAM.jpg
    SUBAL VS NAUTICAM.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 88

Back
Top Bottom