Views on playing with or harrasing marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonyc:
Finally.... If any of us saw that guy topside harrassing a.... dog, cat, small child... the way he was that angel shark, I'm sure we would all want to inflict harm on him, call authorities etc. etc.

Once again I didn't see the video, but was he riding like a bull? Or maybe like a race horse and whipping it around the bottom of the ocean?

Maybe I need to see, because it must be worse than that.

ChrisM:
Whatever. if that floats your macho boat, fine. You shouldn't insult those that disagree with you though.

Wow! Hello Mr. Pot, my name is Mr. Kettle and boy you are black.

You did the same thing you said others shouldn't do in the sentence before?

LowTide,
perhaps you should see the video. It is appalling.

Tonyc is 100% correct when he said that if you watched this kind of bahavior on land to a child or a dog or a cat, you would call a cop.

As for video and photo harrassment:
I shoot UW video professionally. I shoot aquatic behaviors, naturally occuring behaviors. I have never done anything remotely like what was done in this video.

In addition, teaching students to break open urchins is wrong.

My friend (and guide) in Galapagos once said, in reference to my wanting to stop a bird from feeding on a turtle trying to hatch:
"You came here to experience nature in it purist form. If you disturb this process of nature, you will alter the course of life for both the turtle and the bird. Please understand, only observe, and do not interfere."

Matthew J D'Avella

LioKai:
My friend (and guide) in Galapagos once said, in reference to my wanting to stop a bird from feeding on a turtle trying to hatch:
"You came here to experience nature in it purist form. If you disturb this process of nature, you will alter the course of life for both the turtle and the bird. Please understand, only observe, and do not interfere."

Matthew J D'Avella

Your friend is very wise!!! Much can be learned from him. Rusty are you paying attention??
Christopher

tonyc:
Sorry for the long posts, the video was disturbing, I'm slowly losing faith in the human race.

Tony.

Tony ..... if anything the results of our (divers) response to this video resulted in the video being pulled from the SSA-Montclair website. I think these things, as small as they may seem, make an impact. It seems clear that we, as divers, have the collective influence to have dive stores behave in a manner more environmentally aware. Its a step in the right direction IMO .... baby steps :)

Don't lose faith in us as a species Tony, there was a positive outcome to this! :)

headhunter:
I notice that you are in Huntington Beach. I'm in Altadena. Maybe I'll get to meet you in person at a local dive sometime. That would qualify for talking "under happier circumstances".

Thanks for the reply.

Christian

Christian,
I would love to go for that dive...good times...and new dive buddies ahead!! Lets talk off line.
Christopher (member and possibly president of the anti-Rusty gang)

LioKai:
As for video and photo harrassment:
I shoot UW video professionally. I shoot aquatic behaviors, naturally occuring behaviors. I have never done anything remotely like what was done in this video.
This is who I was hoping to hear from. Someone who shoots UW video professionally. It would be interesting to know if those who shoot for well known organizations like National Geographic adhere to the same standard. I'm not saying or assuming that LioKai hasn't done work for organizations like this. I just don't know.

LioKai:

That's a great quote!

I watched it yesterday, and as I remember, the video showed a guy pulling the shark up out of the side by holding onto its sides, then moving towards the camera with it. The sharks, in general, were not struggling, nor, after release, did they swim quickly away - more like drifted back towards the sand or swam off in the opposite direction. The divers did not appear to be riding the shark, nor did the shark appear very distressed (they can really move out if they want to get somewhere).

Is it the best thing to show new divers or encourage? Probably not. However, I will state this again. Divers make an impact regardless of how hands-off your dive is. Be it the boat you ride on, the scary bubble noises you make, the kelp/coral disturbance, the car you drive to get to the dive site. In general, these have much larger impact (especially the boat ride), than feeding a few garibaldi or waking a nurse shark from its daytime nap. So, if you have this opinion of doing zero impact - stay home.

LioKai:
LowTide,
perhaps you should see the video. It is appalling.

Tonyc is 100% correct when he said that if you watched this kind of bahavior on land to a child or a dog or a cat, you would call a cop.

A child, dog or cat is much different than a shark. People tend to put humanistic emotions on their pets. That is a pretty thin analogy.

I guess most of you would be aghast if you dove with me. I do grab critters by the tail and poke rays buried in the sand. I also lobster hunt during season. But, how many of you tree-hugging, granola-eating, hemp-wearing bleeding hearts cruise down for a dive driving an SUV or other gas-guzzling vehicle??? You're adding to global warming!!!!

Back
Top Bottom