YS-110 and YS-110a Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sortsol

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a YS-110a strobe. Does anyone know if I added a YS-110 would I notice a real difference in performance or are they virtually the same? I can't find a real breakout of the differences.

I have two 110a's and it does make a difference. You get a larger light coverage that allows for more of the object to be illuminated. I like having two strobes. I also recently bought the FIX fisheye lens and adapted it for my DX-1G and the two strobes really allow for much better pictures because you can get so much of the reef or object into the picture.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill, not sure that is what lacycroft is asking.

What I think lacycroft is asking is there any difference in performance between the YS-110a and the YS110 (no a).

I actually use two YS-110a and prefer the lighting with two strobes

Lacycroft, I would try both together and see how the output compares. If one outshines the otehr you can always adjust the settings to balance them.

AFAIK the two strobes have identical output and performance. The YS110a is supposed to respond better to a fiber optic input. The YS110 had a reputation for spotty performance when used optically. I think they also expanded the ttl capabilities for more cameras. If you're firing with an electrical sync cord or using a camera that functions in ttl with the YS-110 it shouldn't matter which you use. If you're firing it optically, the 110a is supposed to be quite a bit better.

All, thanks for your posts. They all gave me something to think about.

Larry C's post covers the differences between the 2 models. In practice, you will not notice any difference in performance.

I have 2 YS110's and a DX-1G with optical cables and have always been surprised by the number of complaints I see on the boards. I do see a failure every couple of hundred shots. Not often enough to even worry about considering I toss about 90% of my shots. Maybe my strobes are "older" 110's and are closer in spec to the 110a's?

And yes: 2 stobes are way better than 1 (more than 2x better!).

So if the price is right, go for it.

A YS-110A + a YS-110 will be much better than using just 1 strobes. Your 2 strobes do not necessarily have to be the same exact strobe, this combo will be fine.

That said, the YS-110A is a much improved strobe over the YS-110 with more power and a faster recycle rate. S&S really did a great job with the YS-110a.

I had one of each on my set up for the last year. I recently upgraded the my loan 110 with another 110a. T the 110a's performance is much better with respect to recycle time and optical ttl accuracy. The older 110's also miss firing far more often. The other unusual thing when using one of each strobe is that the flash intensity dial is reversed, not a problem if they are both the same strobe but not ideal when setting both strobes on manual and adjusting.

Brian

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom