insta buddy nightmares

have you ever had a bad experience with an insta buddy?

• yes

Votes: 129 70.1%
  • no

Votes: 55 29.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do very little "instabuddy" diving, in the sense of having absolutely NO information about the person before facing them at the dive site. But I have done quite a bit of diving with people I only knew from having them contact me and say they would like a buddy for some diving.

One of the few true instabuddy experiences I've had, I was the instabuddy . . . I showed up on the wrong day for a dive, and the captain let me on the boat anyway, and teamed me up with two other divers. One was on a RB, and they were friends who clearly had dived together before. I did one dive with the OC fellow, while his buddy sorted some gear issues, and that went fine. But when they both went into the water, it became clear that they really made little effort to stay together . . . and I learned that, in low viz, it doesn't take long to completely lose somebody who doesn't make any bubbles! I could see the two of them getting further apart, and I couldn't figure out which one to follow, and nobody was responding to signals. Eventually, I stayed with the OC guy (figuring a) he was more likely to need gas from me, and b) I had a much better idea of how to help him if he needed help) and we did about 20 minutes more underwater, never knowing where the RB guy was or if he was okay. I didn't like that AT ALL.

I've had two new-to-me divers (but prearranged dives), despite my ALWAYS careful dive briefing that, no matter what else you do, you are to STAY WITH ME, take off into the murk -- one at such high speed that I had great difficulty catching him. When asked later what was up, his answer was, "I thought you were going the wrong way." No signal, no discussion . . . he just turned 180 degrees and took off!

I think the best way to prevent a bad experience with a new buddy is to do a very careful dive plan, going over the goals of the dive, the roles of the divers, the gas plan, the profile, buddy separation protocols, etc. If someone is willing to sit through that, they're probably going to be OK :) Another good strategy is to look for a newer diver who admits they're new -- most of them will be very attentive buddies, even if your dives are short!

Edited because I couldn't resist adding, after reading some more posts above: If you really want to avoid bad instabuddy experiences, join a group of people who make working as a team the centerpiece of their diving strategy!

I've had a couple of really bad insta-buddies, so on my last two trips south I politely but firmly told the divemaster that I would stay with him rather than being paired up. If that isn't possible in the future (Coz in January) I'm going to have a good conversation with my assigned buddy about the dive and what I expect from a dive buddy (and what he expects from me as well of course).

About 5 or 6 years ago, I was paired up with a guy with single-tank gear that looked like he had stepped out of a Halcyon catalog. Blue H's everywhere. During the ride out, our dive briefing consisted of him telling me, in detail, the multiple ways my configuration was going to kill me. And how training was available that was the best in the world, and I should avail myself of it.

I think I did get in a comment sideways about RB and gas planning. You'd have thought he would have picked up on that.....

All the best, James

PS - Yes, you guessed it - hoover. He did try to stay in trim; try is the operative word in this case.

My insta-buddy nightmare was with the DM. I was on a tropical dive near the Bahamas. Like others, my wife isn't really a diver, so I knew I would be teamed up. I was excited to be paired up with the DM. She seemed really cool and put my mind at ease. I mean, after all, she is a DM.

We started going down viz is roughly 90 feet. We are at 30 feet and I look over and she's bolting to the surface. I went after her after to make sure she was okay. When I got to the top she said she was lost and needed to see the boat to tell us where to go. At this point the other divers had already gone their own way. This should have been a sign of things to come.

We head back down and she stays with me and all seems good. I'm looking at this coral formation and I turn around and she's gone. The other divers in our group are scattered all over.. I can see them off way in the distance. I start to think if something goes wrong.. I'm on my own. I abandon the dive and head back to the boat.. on my own. I have no clue where she went. When she surfaces I asked where she went and she said she thought she saw a reef shark and went down to 140 feet to look. She bailed on me to check out a potential reef shark.. huh? So, even diving with a DM doesn't mean you're safe.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "nightmare." I've been on a few instabuddy dives where I came back thinking, "Wow, that's something I really don't want to do again," though from everyone else's perspective, including the buddies, nothing off-key happened at all and it was a routine, pleasant dive.

Remind me to never go diving in Mexico. :grinbandit:

LOL it would seem that way huh. I just think people should take a little more time diving anywhere in the world thats a safe and controlled situation before trying to tack on drifts and deep diving or any other unique aspect of diving. If a person cant master diving in less then 40 feet then they should rethink their strategy.

Like the over weighted diver mentioned above. Anyone with any normal common sense would tell you if you sink to the bottom and silt out then your weighting is way off and not only a hazard to yourself and co divers but a danger to the coral reef.

people with maucho attitudes (And I have had arguements with them even on here believe it or not) really have no buisness diving with true hearted divers when all they are going to do is kill the dive experience for them. I guess this is where the board gets their master diver bashing since or pride because so many people brag of how they dove the world over yet on the dive they get 20 feet for 20 minutes only because they sucked down all of their air and then ruin their dive partners dive.

that being said. I know try to talk in advance with divers before ever getting into the cattle boat and at least to some degree try to sum up experience. I dont partner now with people who brag of how the world could learn from them. I dont partner with people who expect me to follow them (I prefer to work as a team and decide as we are diving what actions to take next within the dive plan) and I honestly dont mind diving with someone who comes right out and tells me that they are a horrible diver but are trying to improve.

For this reason I say give me a newer diver any day who is upfront and honest that they may be a burden more then the guy who will get on line after the dive and bost how the dive was only made enjoyable because he was there.

I have an insta-group story.

My insta-buddy was good. The other two that comprised our insta-group surprised me by putting down several cans of beer during our SI. The dives were in a cavern, about 100 foot vis, max depth 100 ft, blue sky visible (at an angle) from the bottom - we were on the "safe" side of the Grim Reaper sign.

:pityparty:When you spend your journey thinking about the ticket
you will miss the trip :pityparty:

Some funny stories here. I tell any1 I dive with if ur being stupid im just gonna let you die on your own. Im not gonna risk myself for some idiot whose playing around underwater and purging his octo just for fun at 80 ft.

well i had one cat who i went to Morrison springs florida with, this smart fella decided to to get xsmall fins for his xlarge ape feet. dint even care to try to adjust the finstrap so he could put his feet into them. Instead he decided to pull and pull and pull on the strap and try to bring it over his feet until it broke right off. haha, then he asked me if I had extra fins. we were already at the dive site so he had to just put on extra weight on walk on the sand the whole way down. lucky it was a current-less spring he was.

The problems that I have had both involved three buddy teams, in the first I was on my second dive after my OW certification, a drift dive in the Niagara river. I was holding on to the Dive Flag (float) and just drifting, while my two buddies finned on ahead, and about 20 ' deeper. I became entangled in the nylon line attached to the flag,about 20' and began to get concerned, as I could hear propellors getting louder. Well being new, I began to ascend as I tried to untangle myself (props getting REAL loud now) attempted to vent air from my BC, but the inflator hose was velcroed to it, and in my growing excitement (did I mention I was new 9 years ago ?) I was unable to lift the hose high enough in time to prevent me from involuntarily surfacing, at which time I see two speedboats bearing down on me.......
...I kicked both fins to propel myself upward as far as I could out of the water and lifted the dive flag over my head. One boat broke left and the other broke right.
I untangled myself, descended and managed to catch up with my two buddies, just before our exit point.
My buoyancy control got a lot better after that. The other two were never aware that I had a problem
The problem can be that when you have a three buddy team, and divers are used to one buddy, they can tend to forget about the third. On another dive, with a three buddy team, no problems, but I hung back just to see how long it would take for one of the others to look back and was more that 2.5 minutes, before something else happened to divert the attention of all of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom