Tank Tumbler from a treadmill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetPro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Attached are Pictures and a description of my DIY tank tumbler I built from a treadmill.

I had the opportunity to buy some Steel 72s, some of which had a little rust. Being a cheap SOB, I didn’t want to pay for someone to tumble them or buy a tumbler. After a little research I decided to build one myself.

I got the idea of using skateboard parts from a picture on DIY. Not having any skateboards, I built a non-motorized prototype to test the concept of using inline skate wheels. They have excellent bearings that will handle a lot of weight and I had a spare set that were bought for some skates we didn’t even have anymore. It worked great while cleaning an AL80 for nitrox.

Somewhere along the way, I got the idea that a treadmill motor would work well so I put an ad on CL for a working treadmill that I would be happy to take off your hands. I got quite a few responses. It seems that a lot of people use treadmills as clothes hangers.

I disassembled it and was going to use the motor and controller but since the frame was already built and had a drive roller I decided to try and adapt it. The problem was that the drive roller was too low in the frame to be used directly so I decided to use it to drive the skate wheels.

I suck at welding and don’t have much in metal parts around the house but I’m a fair woodworker and have all kinds of scrap wood lying around. Therefore the brackets are made of wood. Total cost of the project was about $4 in bolts.

After some disassembly and cutting off the ramp to a workable length, I added skate wheels on fixed brackets above the drive roller. It all worked well until I tried to put the front cover back on. With the cover attached, the board that mounted the wheels had to be raised slightly and the wheels didn’t drive well. After struggling with slotted mounting holes and other fiascos, my son looked at it and immediately came up with a hinge solution. (I guess that $40k / year for college might work out.) :D

The free wheels are mounted on a separate board that can be positioned for tank size. I have marks for 4 inch. 7 inch and 8 inch diameter tanks. I haven’t decided if I will bolt it down or just use clamps to position it. I hope that the oak mounts will hold up when I drop a tank on them. Time will tell.

The speed is adjustable and uses the original control panel that was mounted to a board attached to the uprights. 1.3 mph equals 60 RPM on an AL80.

Pic 2 shows the fixed wheel mounts that were replaced on the final version as shown in the other pix.
The last Pic is the original concept.

Attachments

• Tumbler10.jpg
    Tumbler10.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Tumbler1.jpg
    Tumbler1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 883
  • Tumbler5.jpg
    Tumbler5.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 927
  • Tumbler4.jpg
    Tumbler4.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 844
  • Tumbler01.jpg
    Tumbler01.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,133
I like it. If my parents ever get rid of their old treadmill for a new one, I may do the same.

This is a bad time to look for a treadmill. Everyone just made New Years Resolutions to work off the holiday meals. By June they will be taking up space in the house. I got 4 offers to take them in the first 2 days.

Jeff

ask for one on Craig's List. And I can let you practice on my tanks that need tumbling!

You buy the media, I'll buy the Blue Gold. Now I just need to get certified to VIP. I'll see what I can do.

Very nice! I also went with the treadmill to get the rpm control without having to use a large pulley. I had to get 2 off craigs since the motor board did not work on the first. I ended up using the metal from both to build my rig. I also cut the plastic control panel down to make it smaller/shorter. I cut the top panel longer on one end, the bottom longer on the other and end sections on both so when screwed back together it still formed a box. It took a little effort required drilling some extra holes. I pulled out all the program wiring circuits and heart rate stuff. I kept the on/off, speed slide switch, and the switch to raise/lower the ramp motor. I shortened the wiring to fit with new connectors, just mark everything before you take it apart. My biggest expense were the non-marring wheels. It was tricky drilling out the centers to fit on the treadmill drive roller. I didn't have a hole saw the right size so ended up using a forstner bit. It would have been better if I had made a jig to hold the wheels in my drill press vise. I kept the pressure light so it got the job done. I ended up finishing with a file leaving them very snug and then drove them on. It was hard to get them dead center but does not affect the tank spin. I kept the drive roller adjustment screws so the tank angle can changed. Tanks will walk a little one way or the other. I telescoped the main frame to the idler side and use the elevation motor to adjust for tank diameter. The glide pads allow the sections to move and you can tap it if necessary. A little paint presto!! I did make a few changes during the build as I found things that would not work like I wanted. Idler wheels have pvc pipe spacers and have been painted black since the pics. I did need to weld an extra support in the middle 5/8" shaft to stop it from flexing with a large tank. A 19cu ft pony is in pics. The desire was to keep it low & compact as possible.

Attachments

• 112_1237.JPG
    112_1237.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 611
  • 112_1240.JPG
    112_1240.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 551
  • 112_1244.JPG
    112_1244.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 510
  • 112_1245.JPG
    112_1245.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 510
This is awesome! It also looks like an easy DIY project with excellent potential. I'm new and I'm assuming tumbling is for cleaning tank interior of any corrosion or blemishes. Is that correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom