snorkel, what’s it good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stoped using a snorkel right after I forgot to swap it for my reg and tried to drop under.. Let me tell you, diving is much more fun when you AREN'T drowning...
:D

I guess that's what happened when you do a four steps descent vs five steps...:wink:

The only time I ever use my snorkle is if we have a good surface swim to the reef/wreck on a shore dive. It is the most well kept newest thing I own.

I stopped diving with a snorkel years ago because it kept getting caught up when I was filming in tight corners and sea lions have a tendency to try to steal them. There are times I wish I had one on me... for surface swims when I intentionally draw down my gas supply. Unfortunately my rig has no easy way to stash one.

Fold up snorkel in my pocket means that when we see dolphins on the surface interval, I do not miss out. :)

New-b here. I have lost two snorkels so far; one on my certification dive and then another one on a later dive. I find I never use it and it gets in the way. On my last 3 dives I have left it in my dive bag. I know I can use a better clip but the question is why do I need one. Thanks.

If you are an air hog and dive somewhere like the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire which is a pretty good swim to the buoy before going down on the wreck, you would want to snorkel on the surface and conserve your air to enjoy the dive ... or if you are anchor diving from a boat and get lost and have to come to surface and notice you are a long way from the boat and need to swim back, a snorkel would be nice.
Just for the record, I don't like snorkels and don't wear one, but I always take one with me on trips, just in case ... had to have one in Galapagos to snorkel with the sealions and penguins (they don't allow scuba) ... needed one to snorkel with the mantees in Florida ... loaned it out ....
Consider one (they make them) that you can put in your BCD pocket for emergencies ....

Thru trial and damn I wish I had it I learned its better to dive with it and than not. Not used all the time and may get in the way but when its needed I was thankful it was there. You will be too.

I sometimes use my snorkel when diving out in San Diego. But when diving the quarry or lake Michigan here in IL i do not use one when diving with friends. But as a Dive Master Candidate when i am helping out with a Open Water Class at the quarry we do wear our snorkels on all the certification dives.

I use mine to swim on the surface. I find it hard to use at 20fsw.

I have personaly found it easier to swim on my back then to swim with a snorkel. The only exception and the only time though that I use one is when I am in rough waters. I have been in some pretty good size swells that dunk you even when your just floating heads up and the snorkle makes breathing in such conditions so much nicer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom