Insulting ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Provoke or not to provoke. The ad has been changed. I simply took off the initial part of it. I am working on a new campaign that is more in line with my first one (The Wizard of Oz take off).

It's a bit beyond my capabilities, but let me run the concept by you, lest I offend anyone else. It centers around some "Ruby Red Flippers" and the ad repeating "There's no place like Coz!"

The "Replacement" Ad

couv, it's understandable with your background that you think of the word invade in its military meaning. ScubaBoard has many, many members who currently serve or have formerly served in the armed forces, and I don't know of any case in which these members were not treated with respect, so I'd like to explain why I think that your indignation is misplaced in this case.

While it's true that invade can mean "to enter for conquest," that's not the only meaning of the word. The ad for the SB Cozumel trip uses invade in one of the several other senses it can have, specifically "spread over or into."

Here are some examples of sentences with the word invade used in a variety of meanings, taken from Webster's

The troops invaded at dawn.
When tourists invade, the town is a very different place.
The cancer eventually invaded the brain.
Weeds had invaded the garden.
Bacteria invaded and caused an infection.

I'm sure that you'll agree, once you've thought about it, that because the word invade is not used in the SB Cozumel trip ad in a military sense, there is nothing offensive about it as regards current or former service men and women.

Just curious. Had you actually seen the ad when you wrote this reply? How can you say that an ad with pictures OF THE MILITARY wasn't meant in any military sense?

The OP thought of invade in a military meaning b/c there were a bunch of images of military operations.

I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt by thinking that maybe you wrote this repsonse after only seeing the lizard ad, or something along those lines.

Provoke or not to provoke. The ad has been changed. I simply took off the initial part of it. I am working on a new campaign that is more in line with my first one (The Wizard of Oz take off).

It's a bit beyond my capabilities, but let me run the concept by you, lest I offend anyone else. It centers around some "Ruby Red Flippers" and the ad repeating "There's no place like Coz!"

Dorothy and Todo might object, but I see no conflict, and enjoy the humor behind it!

I don't like the ad ether, the images used in this context are tacky

Even having the ad with the exact same wording would have been less so without the pics but I'm going with .. please make another ad

Naked woman, and suggestive poses would certainly do that too! But taste prevents their use here. DAM! :idk: :D

I thought it was pretty funny and creative but what do I know, I was in the air force:D

The Lizards has to be one of SB best banners, imo

I found the add quite OK. People nowadays are insulted by some simple things like someone wishing them happy holidays. Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom