Cold water exposure suits discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the past I have done about 30 min dive in 52 degrees and you start to feel the cold after that. Below that I was just to miserable. Then I dove Cozumel and this become all comes mute. 8)

If you cannot afford new then find something used.
Craig's list, Discount Scuba Seattle, (reduced) at scubatoys, Northeast scuba (great deals), ask around. Cavediver.net (website) and here...
You should be able to find a cheap suit for 300 and used good suit for 500. Happy hunting.

Here is a local example for you- http://southjersey.craigslist.org/spo/2129453002.html

YEP, I have a whiskey in one hand and my cigar in the other looking for that torch on Friday night.

:rofl3:

Speaking of torches, have you seen these that channel the flame from a regular lighter?: ThinkGeek :: MicroJet Lighter Torch Great for cigars, creme brulee, or melting the end bits of braided-line knots.

Speaking of torches, have you seen these that channel the flame from a regular lighter?: ThinkGeek :: MicroJet Lighter Torch Great for cigars, creme brulee, or melting the end bits of braided-line knots.

A torch, by USA word usage, is a fire source, usually a rod-shaped piece of wood with a rag soaked in pitch and/or some other flammable material wrapped around one end. Torches were often supported in sconces by brackets high up on walls, to throw light over corridors in stone structures such as castles or crypts. This traditional use of the word lives on in the Olympic Torch, procession torches and the like.

Your example of the JET torch is really a move to the 21st century ..... where you can torch your head or (hair) off while lighting the cigar. Cool item.....................

:rofl3:

Would a 7mm wetsuit and 7mm hooded vest and 7mm gloves and 7mm boots be ok for low 40° water?

Nothing short of a heated drysuit would be OK for 40 degree water!!!!! :no:

After years of hoisting the cold water / wetsuit only Torch..... Sweet Jesus, I'm almost ready to pass the flame on to some other noble / brave / hardy / fool.

Can't see wearing one when I come to Austin... 'Just wouldn't seem right, but my brain is in flux so who knows.

Would a 7mm wetsuit and 7mm hooded vest and 7mm gloves and 7mm boots be ok for low 40° water?

You would probably live.

But, in my opinion - not a chance.

Lol I can't afford to go dry

OK, so for a more serious answer - probably. Prior to getting my drysuit. I did dives down to 40 degrees in a 8-6-5 wetsuit and 7mm hood, gloves, and boots. I'd be OK for about 20-30 minutes and maybe 2 dives a day provided I could get my core warmed up between dives.

These days - I'll dive dry or I won't get in if its less than 60 degrees. In fact, my preference is to dive dry 100% of the time.

*whew* even 2 dives in 40 degree water sounds pretty bad. the coldest i've dived wet was 48 F. the first dive was fine. but i've found the real difference between diving dry and wet is on that SECOND dive, and i'd be a lot more willing to do a third, and fourth dry. not to mention the chance to start each day in dry layers, and never needing to doff your exposure protection (with a relief valve.) i don't think i'm ever going to back to wet, if the surface is over 75 ... i'll just wear a bathing suit and rashguard >_>

Hope you all don't mind me digging up this old thread...

I'm starting from scratch trying to understand what my needs are. One person has suggested that a 3/2 full suit and 5/3 chicken vest would get me from April through November. Does that seem right? Please advise!

Hope you all don't mind me digging up this old thread...

I'm starting from scratch trying to understand what my needs are. One person has suggested that a 3/2 full suit and 5/3 chicken vest would get me from April through November. Does that seem right? Please advise!

IMHO, you have good information on being able to dive most of Texas April through November with that setup; however, I'm not really a good person to ask as I have switched to dry and will be diving dry in 73-75 degree water this weekend, when I should bring out my 5mm full suit or 3/2.....I said should, but I'm not! LOL.

(I will say that I dove early November last year in a 5mm full suit).

Good luck, and welcome back to diving....I know you mentioned it on another thread, but that's great news about your boss, I mean wife. :D

Safe dives,

Cyp

Back
Top Bottom