(ANOTHER one of these threads...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uli Kunkel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Peoples!

Oolie here! I have been a longtime lurker and the time has finally come to join the party.

Im blessed with two months off this summer (July and August) so Im trying to put together something substantial in terms of diving. Ive been reading the old threads over and over but after a while you stat to get a little lost....

What really concerns me (in no order...):
1) Macro life. (FROGFISH!)
2) Keeping a tight budget
3) Doing as many dives a day as possible.
4) Photography

Experience: Divemaster, ~400 dives, ~100 solo
(Raja Ampat, Sipadan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bali, Ambon, Lembeh...)

What I've learnt so far: (Please correct me if Im wrong!)
Anilao is a must
Dauin, Dumaguete (same place????) are good
Puerto galera good for macro too
Malapascua has good macro as well.

July - August is the worst season to go.

There is virtually no way of just turning up and renting tanks/boat and doing solo dives as in Tulamben?

Additional Questions:

1) In terms of weather and macro life seasons, should I skip July, and go another time??
2) Any potential buddies out there to share the cost of diving/accoms?
3) I should just turn up and look for accoms, rather than plan ahead?
4) What order should I do these places in?

Thanks for your patience and help!

Last edited:
You will revise your list after a trip or two, but here are some suggestions from a frequent flier.

Budget 100-150 per day unless you do a lot of drinking and night life. You might find a buddy here on Scubaboard, but you don't need one. I suspect you will want to move around over two months, staying 5-10 days in each place. I don't think you need reservations in july august, that's low season, but I always get them for planning and budget reasons.

I would suggest as follows:
Alona (lotta macro) - stay Lost Horizon dive Scuba World
Dauin (10 km from Dumaguete, a village really) and APO Island - stay Mikes Resort and dive there
Puerto Galera (lotta macro) - stay Sabang Inn and dive there too
Moalboal -stay Marina Resort, dive Savedra
Malapascua (thresher sharks at the cleaning station early morning, otherwise boring - far drive)
Anilao (macro) never been, but heard it's very nice
Subic (wrecks and near Anilao) - Stay dive at Johann's

You can save a lot of time by visiting places near each other. For example, if you arrive in Manila, that's on Luzon Island. Immediately take a taxi to Subic, then go to Anilao, then to Puerto Galera, which is near Luzon. Then go to Cebu City and take a taxi to Moalboal. after that, from Cebu take the fast ferry to Tagbilaran and taxi to Alona. Then back to Tagbilaran and take the ferry to Dumaguete and taxi to Dauin. Take the ferry back to Cebu, then fly to Manila.

That gets you to a lot of places in two months. I find I like to stay in one place for a week, minimize the travel time and maximize dive time. All of the places I listed I have stayed and can recommend highly.

You will revise your list after a trip or two, but here are some suggestions from a frequent flier.

Budget 100-150 per day unless you do a lot of drinking and night life. You might find a buddy here on Scubaboard, but you don't need one. I suspect you will want to move around over two months, staying 5-10 days in each place. I don't think you need reservations in july august, that's low season, but I always get them for planning and budget reasons.

I would suggest as follows:
Alona (lotta macro) - stay Lost Horizon dive Scuba World
Dauin (10 km from Dumaguete, a village really) and APO Island - stay Mikes Resort and dive there
Puerto Galera (lotta macro) - stay Sabang Inn and dive there too
Moalboal -stay Marina Resort, dive Savedra
Malapascua (thresher sharks at the cleaning station early morning, otherwise boring - far drive)
Anilao (macro) never been, but heard it's very nice
Subic (wrecks and near Anilao) - Stay dive at Johann's

You can save a lot of time by visiting places near each other. For example, if you arrive in Manila, that's on Luzon Island. Immediately take a taxi to Subic, then go to Anilao, then to Puerto Galera, which is near Luzon. Then go to Cebu City and take a taxi to Moalboal. after that, from Cebu take the fast ferry to Tagbilaran and taxi to Alona. Then back to Tagbilaran and take the ferry to Dumaguete and taxi to Dauin. Take the ferry back to Cebu, then fly to Manila.

That gets you to a lot of places in two months. I find I like to stay in one place for a week, minimize the travel time and maximize dive time. All of the places I listed I have stayed and can recommend highly.

Malapascua is far from boring on the other sites...you obviously didnt get taken to the right ones!! :D

My comments in bold

Hey Peoples!

Oolie here! I have been a longtime lurker and the time has finally come to join the party.

Im blessed with two months off this summer (July and August) so Im trying to put together something substantial in terms of diving. Ive been reading the old threads over and over but after a while you stat to get a little lost....

What really concerns me (in no order...):
1) Macro life. (FROGFISH!)
2) Keeping a tight budget
3) Doing as many dives a day as possible.
4) Photography

Experience: Divemaster, ~400 dives, ~100 solo
(Raja Ampat, Sipadan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bali, Ambon, Lembeh...)

What I've learnt so far: (Please correct me if Im wrong!)
Anilao is a must TRUE
Dauin, Dumaguete (same place????) are good TRUE
Puerto galera good for macro too TRUE
Malapascua has good macro as well. TRUE

July - August is the worst season to go. NOT TRUE I'd avoid december/january first and foremost. July is great as is June and May is awesome. August could go either way but at least you wont be amidst crowds.

There is virtually no way of just turning up and renting tanks/boat and doing solo dives as in Tulamben? TRUE

Additional Questions:

1) In terms of weather and macro life seasons, should I skip July, and go another time?? NO
2) Any potential buddies out there to share the cost of diving/accoms?
3) I should just turn up and look for accoms, rather than plan ahead? PLANNING AHEAD IS ALWAYS GOOD
4) What order should I do these places in? SEE IF YOU CAN GET A FLIGHT IN TO MANILA AND OUT OF CEBU - THAT WILL GIVE YOU THE MOST DIVING TIME AND THEN FIGURE OUT THE ROUTE

Thanks for your patience and help!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

So- is the whole "single supplement" thing just not as widely done in PI?

And the risk of being washed away in a monsoon deluge is REALLY not that high?

April and May is the best time as it is the only time to dive the World Heritage Site of Tubataha(liveaboard only).

Manila, Coron, El Nido, Underground River in Sabang, Puerto Princessa to Cebu, Malapascua, Sogod Bay in Southern Leyte, Cebu(via Ormoc), General Santos and Davao, Manila. And if you still want to do more diving then Anilao and Puerto Galera.

July and Aug is the low season and some places can get very quiet. So if are the ONLY diver around you might have to pay extra for the boat!!!!! So it does help to inqurie ahead rather than just turn up at the door.

The wrecks in Coron are far more interesting than those in Subic.

Alternative route:
Cebu, Moalbaol, Dumaguette(Apo Island), Sipalay, Siqujor, Bohol(Alona Beach, Balicasagg, Cabilao), Cebu, Camotes Island, Cebu, Malapascua, Sogod Bay(Southern Leyte), Cebu, Camiguin Island(via Cagayan de Oro), Surigao, Davao(via Cagayan de Oro), General Santos and finally back to Cebu.
You have to dive The Tinoto Wall in Gen San!!!!

Last edited:
Because right now the weather is the worst we've seen in a long time and its so cold im thinking about getting my drysuit out!

Obviously we havent brought the warm weather down with us yet. Stay tuned for the aussie invasion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom