SA/Mozambique in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1thumper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hope to get some ideas! I will be travelling to South Africa during the first two weeks of February. Will spend some time in Cape Town and Johannesburg, and am looking for other places to go for diving....happy to do everything from big pelagics down to macro. It seems like this is not the best time seasonally for some things. So, in early February, where are the best places to go?

Hi, I just returned from 4 months in South Africa. I went diving twice at Sodwana Bay, once in Ponta d'Ouro, Mozambique and once off Durban. Whale shark, humpbacks, manta, dolphins in Sodwana! It was amazing, but all the sites were great. Try these links, sorry can't post urls yet... Marc can help you out.

www (dot) adventuredivesa (dot) com

also on facebook, Adventure Dive SA

No man! Don't repeat my mistake. I'm in Mozambique for the last two months (I'm learning to divemaster) and that was the biggest mistake in my life. I never ever had so terrible diving and life like here. And it's not to cheap, something about $50/day for accommodation and $40 per dive. For this money you can have fantastic holliday on the Red Sea for instance.
At this time the visibility here is usually less than 10m. Forget the whales, sharks, dolphins etc After two months I have only two(!) nice dive's. That was when I've seen mantas and Leopard shark. No beautiful reefs are here. They call "reef" any that different from sandy bottom. And usually there is no corals or they are very small.
I can talk more about this place, but no reason. . We have plenty customers from South Africa and they enjoy it. And they say that diving here is much better. Probably it's because they have never seen something another...

Last edited by a moderator:
where are you diving in mozambique? i am considering it in march to (hopefully) see some mantas and whalesharks. i have read on most of the dives you will see mantas and you can do snorkling trips to see the whale sharks.to hear you have had such a terrible time sucks. who are you diving with?

Hi there!

Diving in Cape Town is very colourful - masses of different types of nudibranchs, colourful soft corals and sponges, sea fans, feather stars, fish, cape fur seals who swoop in to check you out.... if you enjoy Macro, you'll also love the dive sites we visit.

For more details (and photos of what you'll see when you dive with us), please visit our website: Indigo Scuba - SCUBA Diving Cape Town, South Africa - SCUBA Courses, Dive Charters, Scuba Equipment.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about Cape Town diving!

Kate and Deon Jonker
Indigo Scuba Diving Centre
Gordon's Bay - Cape Town - South Africa

i am possibly thinking of extending my south african trip to cape town to do some G W SHARK dives (if in season). i want to try and see some mantas and whale sharks on this trip as i will be diving with a small group who havnt seen them before i am looking at mozambique but im getting mixed reviews... all of the tourist information looks great mantas on alot of the dives a chance to see whalesharks but in reality im ggetting the impression its being destroyed by illegal fishing. so im looking for opinions/info.

Hi SEABEAST

I cant believe you are having such a bad time. I have dived Mozambique extensively and have never had dives/conditions like you explain. Where are you diving in Moz?
Moz as awesome coral reefs and an abundance of marine life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi SEABEAST

I cant believe you are having such a bad time. I have dived Mozambique extensively and have never had dives/conditions like you explain. Where are you diving in Moz?
Moz as awesome coral reefs and an abundance of marine life.

for 2 weeks geez u goin to be rushin around alot from goin to jo-burg to cape town. best would be dive in cape town to see the famous white sharks and divin with the seals and then gettin to sodwana for the warmer waters and seein the excellent coral reefs and catchin a glimpse of the whale sharks

Hope to get some ideas! I will be travelling to South Africa during the first two weeks of February. Will spend some time in Cape Town and Johannesburg, and am looking for other places to go for diving....happy to do everything from big pelagics down to macro. It seems like this is not the best time seasonally for some things. So, in early February, where are the best places to go?

Diving is not bad in Cape town over Feb but it's highly dependent on the South Easter wind not blowing, especially if you want to dive in False bay which is slightly warmer then the Atlantic side. You can also get a lot of surge underwater.

Best places in SA for diving are near Durban though, Sodwana and Aliwal Shaol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom