Christolube expiration date?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just noticed on my tube of Christolube, that it is nearing it's expiration date. What exactly happens to a lubricant when it expires?

Jim

Thanks Rainer, I now know A LOT more about twinkies than I ever thought I would, still not sure about Christolube tho haha.

Hi Jimmer,

The grade of CHRISTO-LUBE(R) you have is composed of a fluorinated oil with PTFE as the thickener. They are both excellent lubricants and very inert and remain visrtualy unchanged indefinately. Feel free to contact usdirectly at Lubrication Technology for additional comments.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

It does beg one question tho. If it is inert and remains virtually unchanged indefinetly, why does it have an expiration date?

Jim

Jim,

While the dispersion contains very stable components, there is the possibility of "bleeding" where a small of the base oil may separate from the thickener. This takes time and can be reversed by mixing. This is the biggest issue when these kinds of grease are allowed to set around for years.

Secondly, while these polymers are very stable, we assigned a cut off date for the end user. This is somewhat arbitrary but for business reasons we feel it is better to have an expiration date for warranty and in case the end user wants to return product. That is, mainly for business interests rather than technical or performance reasons.

Hope this helps and thanks for follwo up.

Regards,

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom