Remote, non-liveaboard diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MGW1979

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are heading down under for two weeks in April. After spending a few days in Adelaide with family there we wanted to head up to the reef and do some diving.

I immediately thought of a liveaboard but she is dead set against (for a variety of reasons, some rational, some not IMO :idk:)it so its basically not an option.

Can anyone recommend somewhere we might stay, like an island in the middle of nowhere that would have a nice beach (her priority) and some great, unspoiled diving nearby?

I was in Cairns and Port Douglas almost 20 years ago and it would be neat to go back. However, from what I can gather, diving based out of either involves a very long boat ride for some diving that may not be the greatest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks, Marke

If you dont want to do a live aboard but want to dive the same sites (Cod Hole and Ribbon Reef areas) Lizard I(sland is probably teh best bet.

Its not cheap but it is a 5 star resort (kid free) and smack bang in the middle of the Ribbon Reefs. You can get to the famous Cod Hole in small boat after 30mins.

You get there by smal aircraft from Cairns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

I would try lady Elliot island! Very very basic, it's all about nature. Tiny it takes 5 mins to walk across. Amazing diving including around 40 resident mantas and turtles galore. Great snorkeling.

Or even better is coral bay in western australia. Beautiful beach snorkeling and diving and very very remote.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check them out.

Lady Elliot Island looks fantastic! Are there any other islands further north that you can stay on? I think we'll stay on the East coast.
Thanks

Heron Island also supposed to be excellent diving and on east cost. Lady Elliot is definately on of teh better ones, as is Lizard.

There are plenty of islands to stay (Dunk, Orpheus, Brampton etc) but not all have good access to diving

Agree for diving lizard, lady elliot, and heron are the best option but still great for non divers who want laze around in a beautiful spot. Note the sand on lady elliot isn't ideal but grab a sunlounge and it's lovely

I think I'm leaning a bit toards Heron. Am I right in thinking that because its further north, it will be warmer then?
Are there any spots in the Whitsunday islands worth checking out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom