list of Texas dive sites needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacharles

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy all I'm back into diving after a 15 year break and I would like y'alls help finding suitable places in texas to dive. please tell me as much about any site so i can make plans to dive it if possible thank you charles.

Constructive? I'll show you constructive!

Scubacharles,

Try www.fatboyscuba.com. I think you'll find links to a number of activities and places there.

Regards,

Oh, oh! I did this research when I first got cert'd, let's see what I remember:

http://texasdiver.com/tdiver.pl?sites.index

This was, from what I recall, one of the more comprehensive lists. It's missing more current sites (Twin Lakes, for instance), but otherwise isn't horrible.

jeff

scubacharles:
Howdy all I'm back into diving after a 15 year break and I would like y'alls help finding suitable places in texas to dive. please tell me as much about any site so i can make plans to dive it if possible thank you charles.

If you're in Lubbock, I guess the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, NM or Balmorhea would be your best bets.

Have you contacted the local clubs in west Texas? http://www.dustdevildivers.org or http://members.aol.com/caprockdiveclub/home.htm

/Mike
http://www.diverguy.com

not just interseted in dives close to me i want all sites in texas and if i was to contact a diveclub i would choice ones located in lubbock or amarillo.

If you need info about the one place to dive near Amarillo give me a shout. Spring Canyon at Lake Meredith is divable.

Joe

scubajoe:
If you need info about the one place to dive near Amarillo give me a shout. Spring Canyon at Lake Meredith is divable.

Joe
joe i would love if you could tell me location and a little about the site if possible like visibility,falcilities avabible, nite diving allowed, and depth. thank you

Spring Canyon, formerly know as the Stilling Basin at Lake Meredith National Recreation Area is about 40 miles north of Amarillo. Facilities are limited. Picnic tables, charcoal cookers and porta potties. Visibility well, very poor to ok depending on temperature, wind and very rare rain. I was there in December a few years back and the vis was probably 20 ft or more but the temp was 33f. Last summer I took a new diver that wanted some low vis experience and he got it. Three to four feet but the water was in the high 70s. Not sure about the depth, I think I have been 35 or so. I have heard it is quite deep near the damn, close to 60 but I am not sure. It is nasty black water past 30. I think the place closes at sundown to keep the terrorists out. The gates stay locked when the terror level is orange or above. We had a special use permit and it seems we could camp over night but would be locked in. So I'd say night diving is not an option. The closest place for air is Amarillo unless you give me a shout and if possible I may be able to get you some.
The diving is interesting for awhile, a toilet, clothes rack and a huge tire and other assorted stuff. The NPS dive team trains there so they have "installed" some junk. There are fish, catfish, bass, carp, and crappie. They used to stock it with trout in the winter but I think that ended with the terror threat. There is also one training platform. However there are tons of fishing line and other trash. Carry a knife and scissors. As far as I know you can dive for free with relatively no hassles as long as you are not teaching. In order to teach you must get a special use permit.
For the official info call the National Park Service at 806 857 3151, ask for Bill, he is a diver and a good guy. PM me if there is anything else I can help you with.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom