Lionfish Awareness and Elimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Listen,We all have kids and if your diving ,they just might like it also. What is one life worth?Who cares what someone post. [Story] When i was growing up,i moved to salt water. I never saw the ocean b-4 but i love being around water. One day i thought of buying a dive mask and fins to dig Qhogs underwater.I wanted to see what these holes were in the mud. I came across a fish in a cement block. Wow what a cool fish! It had yellow strips[Grount fish] and looked like a striped tiger.I thought fish were hard to catch and would swim away. I went to try and grab it,and it lunged forward and bite me.Boy was i surprised.It takes all kind of people to make the world go around. If we all were the same. What a dull life this would be. Why do we need to write something which we think is funny. I can see if you had something constructive to say and put something in that.This person is putting her time into something that she feels is important to her and others.Maybe you didnt think when you posted that or thought it was funny and wouldnt hurt anything. We all have done things without thinking. So now we have learned a lesson.Im new on this forum. I love this forum because it has so much information on it. I can find anything on it. And being new,ive allready had some nice people help me out.They went out of their way to help. That says alot about a person. Maybe i love diving but never dove in some of these places that have dangerous fish or fire coral.I might want to show my kids what to look for. No harm done here. It would be real nice if we could all just get along and enjoy what this forum has to offer each person.If we can't say something nice. Then dont open our mouths.Love this forum. So far the people here have been great.Frankie

Listen,We all have kids and if your diving ,they just might like it also. What is one life worth?Who cares what someone post. [Story] When i was growing up,i moved to salt water. I never saw the ocean b-4 but i love being around water. One day i thought of buying a dive mask and fins to dig Qhogs underwater.I wanted to see what these holes were in the mud. I came across a fish in a cement block. Wow what a cool fish! It had yellow strips[Grount fish] and looked like a striped tiger.I thought fish were hard to catch and would swim away. I went to try and grab it,and it lunged forward and bite me.Boy was i surprised.It takes all kind of people to make the world go around. If we all were the same. What a dull life this would be. Why do we need to write something which we think is funny. I can see if you had something constructive to say and put something in that.This person is putting her time into something that she feels is important to her and others.Maybe you didnt think when you posted that or thought it was funny and wouldnt hurt anything. We all have done things without thinking. So now we have learned a lesson.Im new on this forum. I love this forum because it has so much information on it. I can find anything on it. And being new,ive allready had some nice people help me out.They went out of their way to help. That says alot about a person. Maybe i love diving but never dove in some of these places that have dangerous fish or fire coral.I might want to show my kids what to look for. No harm done here. It would be real nice if we could all just get along and enjoy what this forum has to offer each person.If we can't say something nice. Then dont open our mouths.Love this forum. So far the people here have been great.Frankie

Frankie - What is your point as relates to this thread? Hug them (lionfish) or cook them?

Study them. Work with them.I dont know enough about whats going on.And that take classes on these things to know whats going on. It seems that alot of poisons can help people. You watch. They will be gone and then we will find out that because they are so different,that they can cure more than one kind of sickness. Nature was made and we interfered and messed everything up.We can learn alot from our oceans and were just starting to study them more. And we do things for money sometimes. Like distroying reefs.We need good answers and the same rules for everyone.Now were trying to fix everything.No wonder the world is like it is. We need change b4 its to late. If it isnt to late allready. Their seems to be some people on this forum that think because they are [So called Pro's] That they can pick on peoples ideas,instead of helping.We all messed up this world and i wonder why?We need to work together more now than ever. We have to change for our kids. Its because we dont work together and give praise to people that are doing something right, that the world is like it is.We still need to learn whats going on out their. To study is to get all the facts first. Its people like this lady that are doing something and making a difference. Hopfully our kids can dive and enjoy whats left from know it alls. In fact,This lady is helping pro's keeps their jobs. Good Work. Wish i started something like that years ago.Good luck.

Last edited:
Frankie:

Nobody is promoting world-wide eradication; they're fine in their native range.

Even if anyone wanted to drive them into extinction, not gonna happen. They inhabit way too much deeper terrain than large numbers of rec. divers hit routinely.

Best case scenario: over time regulations let recreational divers carry & use devices like the ELF to cull them, hopefully with minimal poaching of other species, and heavily dove sections of reef under 130' deep benefit from heavily reduced lion fish populations, though populations will be replenished from deeper habitat so it'll be an ongoing equilibrium state.

Lion fish enjoy one major advantage over many of the creatures Man has driven into extinction; they inhabit large regions humans can't get to in substantial #'s. That population reservoir makes extinction near impossible, from what I understand.

Richard.

Listen,We all have kids and if your diving ,they just might like it also. What is one life worth?Who cares what someone post.

:confused: Huh?? What does that even mean?!

Also, for the record...we don't all have kids :idk:

It is hard to believe that with all of the press and education, the lionfish issue has yet to reach all active divers.

Recently on a trip to the Florida Keys, we found and dispatched a few lionfish. One of the divers in the group freaked out when they saw the first lionfish dispatched. We had to explain the situation to the diver after we surfaced later on. The diver is active yet never heard of this problem.

Yeah, we need more education.

Yeah, we need more education.

I agree.

The arguing on this thread is pathetic. What is the big deal that someone wants to teach about lion fish????? I was a new diver and had no idea they were bad news. I thought they were cool because I saw them in a movie. Never knew they were not from here.
The people that keep posting min after min arguing over this back and forth nonsense need to stop diving a desk/computer and actually get out there and do some "REAL DIVING".

I'm all for education and certification BUT as with most things in nature where man gets involved the results are not always positive.

I personally don't believe that culling them will work. Even if it (apparently) does there's no legitimate method to confirm that the achieved result is due to culling. What...are we going to ask the fish...or some dumb human (personally I'd trust the fish). In the end, lionfish have inhabited this planet far longer than us dumb humans so my guess it that they know what they're doing far better than we.

Natural selection works and we really should allow it to in some instances.

Natural selection works and we really should allow it to in some instances.

Natural Selection, in this instance, will favor the lionfish at the expense of most of the other fish and reef in areas they have taken over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom