Lionfish Awareness and Elimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natural Selection, in this instance, will favor the lionfish at the expense of most of the other fish and reef in areas they have taken over.

Lionfish as with all predators will follow the food. The food supply always dictates predator population. This will be a classic case where the natural fluxuations in food supply will eventually reduce the lionfish population, and those doing the culling will take credit for it.

Sure, we've intervened in nature in some instances and have done some good things but this one has "junk science" written all over it. Believe me... I hope I'm wrong but when it comes to sea life there are too many unknown variables to think that we know exactly what's going on.

If you're going to kill em and eat em that's one thing but culling? Won't accomplish a thing and may have unintended consequences. It makes as much sense as the shark killing frenzies of the past after a shark attack. We all know how fruitless that was.

I don't think anyone has any fantasy about eradicating lionfish from Florida shores. It's absolutely not going to happen. All we want to do and what is very doable is to protect the reefs we dive regularly. That's no different than someone trying to keep their yard nice, even if they do live in a crummy neighborhood. DO you allow natural selection to occur without intervention in your home and yard? Really!!! You have no problem with roaches, termites, flies, mosquitoes, maggots???

Lionfish as with all predators will follow the food. The food supply always dictates predator population. This will be a classic case where the natural fluxuations in food supply will eventually reduce the lionfish population, and those doing the culling will take credit for it.

So Lionfish will eat everything...then AFTER they eat everything there won't be enough food for them and they'll die off? Yeah, that's a good plan :eek:hbrother:

Sure, we've intervened in nature in some instances and have done some good things but this one has "junk science" written all over it.

So every single report talking about lionfish including (but not limited to) the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Oregon State University, and Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) is junk science? Really? Can you please point out a few articles that say lionfish DON'T pose a major threat to caribbean eco-system?

It makes as much sense as the shark killing frenzies of the past after a shark attack. We all know how fruitless that was.

Yeah...because the shark population is doing great! :shakehead: Hunting of sharks was an emotional response to sensationalized stories. We (humans) put Lionfish in these waters and we need to take them out. It cannot be compared to the hunting of sharks.

So Lionfish will eat everything...then AFTER they eat everything there won't be enough food for them and they'll die off? Yeah, that's a good plan :eek:hbrother:.

I just came off several healthy reef systems a few days ago. There were numerous lionfish and far more numerous other fish species, many of which were far bigger than the lionfish. So define "eating everything".

So every single report talking about lionfish including (but not limited to) the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Oregon State University, and Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) is junk science? Really? Can you please point out a few articles that say lionfish DON'T pose a major threat to caribbean eco-system?

So if I read this correctly, NOAA and our elite (cough) universities, don't sensationalize stories to justify grant/research money or budget requirements? I've personally witnessed the answer to that question and so have you countless times in your lifetime(if you actually had your eyes open).

Keep it in context though... My comment about junk science was more directed at the solution, not the existence of the problem. But since you mentioned it, knowing how the money flows, the source of problem may be arguable as well. NOAA and the others are businesses that generate funding by convincing the government that there's a HUGE problem that my tax dollar can solve.

I will ALWAYS question that, and believe very little of what I read.

Yeah...because the shark population is doing great! :shakehead: Hunting of sharks was an emotional response to sensationalized stories. We (humans) put Lionfish in these waters and we need to take them out. It cannot be compared to the hunting of sharks.

Sensationalized stories...hmmm :wink:

OMG...the lionfish are coming

If you're going to kill em and eat em that's one thing but culling? Won't accomplish a thing and may have unintended consequences. It makes as much sense as the shark killing frenzies of the past after a shark attack.

Consistently culling the lionfish from a given stretch of reef reduces their predation on other creatures on that stretch of reef. So yes, it will accomplish something, at least on that stretch of reef.

The shark comparison is logistically very different. With a shark attack situation, you've got a tiny minority of the local population that has 'offended,' may never do so again, and probably no way to know when you've nailed the right one (if ever).

With lion fish, every one in the Caribbean is an 'offender,' will continue to offend as long as it lives (&/or breeds), and every single one we nail is the 'right' one.

Very, very different.

Richard.

The LF problem has grown significantly around the USVI. It is rare to dive a reef system now and not see a LF and we are definitely seeing the negative results of diminishing reef fish. As usual, education has proven a tremendous benefit and local divers and LDS are coordinating efforts but these programs are fighting a loosing

I'll be waiting with bells on to see the results of this new "mission". Unfortunately we won't know the results for several years. During my 20 year dive career I've lost count of the studies where one thing or another was being blamed for decreasing reef fish populations and every few years there's a new one to blame. In walks the evil lionfish.

The only constant is that reef fish populations fluxuate and we still don't fully understand the complex mechanisms that affect reef health. Heck, we've only recently bugun to unravel the secrets of deep ocean currents. We do however know one thing with absolute certainty...

Practically every living thing on this planet has some valuable biological function and benefits the planet in some way. I say practically because humans are the exception. We destroy everything we touch and we spread unchecked like a virus. We can't even manage our own population, yet we attempt to manage the population of creatures we pretend to understand. We pump countless tons of poison into the air and water and we trample the reefs yet we're dumbounded at the decrease of reef fish population.

I believe the lionfish is merely the villian of the day. Kill a few and we sleep well at night with the belief that we're somehow helping the planet. Human birth control would do far more to save the reefs and we're too stupid and vain to even figure out that simple equation.

Don't get me wrong...I'm no enviro-nut or tree hugger. I hunt and fish, and pollute like every human but what I don't do is pretend I'm making a difference because I recycle my beer cans.

Back
Top Bottom